Macbook USB+External HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ref26, Mar 24, 2008.

1. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I have a 2.2ghz blackbook and recently purchased a Simpletech 320 Signature Mini External HDD. I needs 2 USB ports to power it, I guess since it's a large disk and portable size. Someone in a review said that it worked with just 1 port on their laptop though (a Toshiba), and that it depends on how much power your computer has for the USBs. Is there any way to control how much power goes to a USB?

2. MasterMacBook macrumors member

well
    in short
    no
    just buy a usb hub and it ownt matter how many ports it takes up
    u can get them from around 30$AUD

3. Deadaim357 macrumors member

Deadaim357

I don't think you can set that kind of stuff. Like MasterMacBook said just buy a USB hub. I see them all the time in Target for like 15 bucks.

4. Jpoon macrumors 6502

As long as you aren't running an octopus of items out of your hub, I don't think it'll be an issue.

You can always get a AC powered USB hub if your concerned about powering issues. Typically, there aren't more than one or two items that I have to plug in to my Macbook to charge. It's not too annoying so I just got a four port hub. I switch the usb cables for the Time Machine external drive and my iPod for charging. On the other port, I have a hub with a printer cable, a wireless mouse adaptor, a thumb drive, and an external keyboard. No power issues there with either the iPod or external drive plugged in. Never tried it with both though.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I got myself a SIIG USB...

thingy, and I have (6) USB 2.0 plugged in at present. Cost me $5 USD! :cool:

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

7. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Not unless he's planning on running two things at once on one hub *Hard drive + Ipod for instance*. Other wise it should be fine.

8. ref26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ref26

Thanks guys, I got myself a $10 4-port hub which is doing the trick. (And I'm a she :))

9. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i don't think that works
    wow i have the same thing and it always says its too much power draw

10. molsoncanadian macrumors newbie

Anyone know if an external hard drive with firewire 400 is going to have the same issue as USB powered external hdds?

11. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

12. ref26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ref26

More problems!

Update: Today when I plugged in my external it worked at first, then said I had removed it improperly when I hadn't, and now my computer doesn't see it at all when I plug it in. I am using both USB ports without a hub, I tried restarting, my other (120gb) external is working fine, and I tried using the cord for it on the other one and it didn't help. This external has 2 lights, red and blue, and the red one goes on when I plug it in but not the blue. Any ideas?

13. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Try using a different USB outlet. Sometimes I have to rotate my lines. If you have a desktop, try hooking up directly into a computer to see if HD is still working.

14. ref26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ref26

Thanks, I plugged it into a friend's MB and it worked, then worked on mine after. Strange, but just glad it's back up and running :)