Macbook used on it's side - surely not healthy?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yegon, Dec 5, 2007.

1. yegon macrumors 68020

I read quite a lot of manga and comic books on my Macbook (with FFView). I've always thought it'd be ace to read it portrait style, propped up on its side e.g

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/08/vertical_powerbook_as_an_ebook.html#comments

..but surely it doesn't do it any good?! Or am I underestimating/misunderstanding the architecture of macbooks and laptops in general? I'm hesitant to even try it for fear of long term damage. Plus, I suppose the slightly rounded edges on the lcd probably won't stand up very securely either.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It should be fine. All of the computer parts work just fine in any orientation, including the hard drive (it is designed for this). The only thing that *might* have a problem would be the optical, but even that many optical drives can be mounted sideways, look at the iMac for example.

Just be careful with the screen/hinge as they aren't made to take big force that way (but plenty to support the laptop).

3. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmm, I'm reluctant to try it tbh. Even it can take the strain, there's a big risk of it toppling over - I feel sick at the prospect of the hideous sound it'd make crashing onto the table :eek:

4. mpw Guest

The internals seem to cope okay, but I think the risk of knocking it over and also the comfort if trying to either hold it or read it in a fixed position would put me off. Wait for the tablet Mac:)

5. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

I avoided getting into the habit of using my Macbook on it's side - it might cope but it just felt....wrong on so many levels.

Off topic, but I treated myself to a e-ink ebook reader instead, the Sony Reader, PRS-505.

Didn't buy it for books really (although I will use it for that), more for manga;

http://hightech.afmag.net/reading-manga-and-comics-on-the-sony-reader-the-definitive-review.html

That's the older 500 model in that link, the 505 is an updated, marginally improved version.

Been reading a fair bit of manga lately, both books and scanlations. I can just about tolerate reading scans on my lappy, but it's a far cry from the real thing - the reader is an ace compromise. Following the guide on the linky at the bottom of that page, I've got great results from the few manga I've converted so far. The piccies in that link really don't do it justice.

Contemplated others like the iLiad, too pricey for me, especially considering that the tech is still in it's infancy - full colour is expected within a couple of years apparently. Plus, the iLiad is FAAR too big for my usage.

Amazon Kindle, eep!, never in a million years.

Cybook, hmm, I was sorely tempted, but I went with the Sony due to it being markedly cheaper and mainly because I found quite a lot of people were satisfied with it for manga, the main reason I bought it.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

optical should be fine too, unless you shake it while in operation. Tilting is okay.

7. Uoila macrumors member

Your fine.

Agreed. Your not doing any harm, just make sure that you don't knock it over as stated above.

8. mpw Guest

Unless it's an early MacBook, when it'll destroy the CD/DVD apparently.