Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilomoga

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Hi!

I use my MacBook at home most of the time since a few weeks so I don't know since when my MacBook got this problem (when I use it at home I usually have my home cinema system connected to the MacBook, however, it's connected with a normal 3,5" stereo jack (like normal headphones have).

Once I unplugged the cable by accident and realized it when I wanted to turn the volume up when I didn't hear anything and the icon (which appears when changing the volume) was a crossed speaker icon. When I checked the cable I saw the red light coming out of the headphone jack. I plugged the cable back in and it worked like it should, but when I unplugged it the audio output switched to optical again instead of the included speakers of the MacBook. I tried turning the MacBook on while everything's disconnected - you can hear the self diagnostic sound or how it's called - and when I'm at the login screen and hold my finger next to the headphone jack I see the red light again. I tried booting up Windows Vista (which I have installed on it) - same result, so it seems not to be a software/driver problem :-(

Anybody got an idea? I'm using Leopard 10.5.4 on a MacBook 2,1 with 2GB RAM.

nomad00

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
Probably not of any help, but I've had this same problem on & off w/ my Powerbook G4 -- the 'solutions' i've found are either re-plugging in the headphones and unplugging until its happy, or quiting the coreaudiod process. Though neither worked reliably, a restart always did for me...

Good luck...

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
There is a small "latch" inside the mini-jack socket. Yours is stuck - very common - try a google and you will find various people have had the same problem. Toothpick seems to be the most popular tool to fix it.....if not then it will be a new logicboard if you are still under warranty...

Ilomoga

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Well, thanks for your help. I couldn't repair it by myself so I brought it to an Apple store. I didn't want to mess around with the headphone jack with a toothpick cause I still got warranty on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.