Macbook uses?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by waloshin, Apr 15, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Unibody Macbook 2.4ghz:

Is it only made for pretty much netbook stuff:

- surfing the web
    - email
    - chat
    - word processing

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If that's all you're going to do with a Macbook you might be better off just getting a netbook.

You don't really need a Core 2 for all that.

3. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

Exactly. Get a Dell Mini 9 or 10.

4. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Haha, no. It's a pretty powerful computer, actually.

5. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

It can do a lot more than that, although it is very good at those things :D.

I use VMware Fusion on my 2.4GHz Macbook to run Windows and Ubuntu, I can even run some older games on VMware like Max Payne 2. Or, if you want higher performance you can install Windows on it and run more recent games - the 9400M and Core 2 Duo are pretty reasonable for most games.

I also use Xcode on my Macbook, although the smaller screen size is a bit cramped, but plug an external display in and it works great.

6. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Skip the netbook

If you want a mac experience, buy the plastic macbook or low-end unibody.

Or find a 12" PB if you want smaller size...

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I am right or wrong the 13.3 1280x800 screen is too small to do anything ,but surfing the web, chat, email, word processing?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sure is portable though.

9. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

The 15" screen in the MBP is more suited to tasks like photoshop or xcode, but you can easily get by with the 13" screen and if you can master Spaces it shouldn't be a big deal.

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

You can hook it up to an hdtv and watch 1080p bluray mkv movies with the macbooks.

You can use it to d/l music, movies, pr0n. :cool:

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Wrong. It's a wide screen so you can watch movies, picture edit, movie edit, play some games I guess, write programs, watch TV (with EyeTV).

Before I call you a troll, mind explaining what you would like to do with a computer?

12. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The screen is fine for lots of things. While its certainly not a big enough screen for very professional use, it is great for amateurs and im sure some professionals use it as a secondary computer.

13. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Web site creation using Dreamweaver, light photo editing, gaming( cod4, team fortresss 4, Unreal tournament 3, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2{when it comes out}!

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The only limiting factor for that on the MacBook is screen real estate.

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

You'll be fine with the 13 inch screen. One of my closest friends got the 2.0 UMB for christmas mainly for web designing and some coding. He loves it.

16. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

Are you serious? I use mine for making lectures, statistical analyses, writing manuscripts, encoding movies, making movies, watching movies, watching tv online, amateur photo editing, just to mention a few.

As a side note, I just notice I'm not a newbie anymore! That's exciting!

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The MB will handle all that stuff. Not at High Settings and 80 FPS, but it'll do it. If anything just get an external monitor and you'll be perfectly good to go. Especially for web design and photo editing.

18. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

yea i play all the latest games in bootcamp plus 720p movies it does pretty well and if your bothered by the size hook it to an external besides nothings better than being able to watch hidef movies or play games on the move when things get boring

19. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

If you want a mac, go for a mac.

Some people I know buy macs just for web-browsing. As someone stated earlier in the thread, it's the whole mac experience.

The dell mini notes are nice, but they aren't even a spot on the new UBMB.

James.

20. gerbilbox macrumors regular

I had a first generation MacBook, which has the same size and same resolution screen, but a lot slower, and I used it extensively for Adobe Photoshop CS4, Illustrator CS4 and Lightroom 2 without a hitch. Sure, I could have done better, but the MacBooks are very capable machines.

21. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

13" doesn't sound all too appealing until you put it in your lap. I'm coming from a 15.4" screen, and I haven't had any issues. In fact, I'd say I prefer the smaller size now.:)

22. Milfette macrumors newbie

Milfette

after the first year with my iMac i hated having to be home to get anything work done in the same suite of programs and if i had to go on client calls i hated borrowing my bf's 17 MbP more.

I couldn't be happier to have a lil tiny powerhouse that can be easily attached to my tv to watch hd movies or an external monitor when i need to do a real project or two.

maybe im crazy but this thing is a mobile powerhouse

23. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Which isn't that bad a factor considering you can always connect to a larger monitor. :D

24. maz94protege macrumors member

Id take the base white macbook over any WIN/PC Netbook.

25. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I had the same fear about a 13.3" screen. I'd always used 15 inch screens at home and at work my laptop is a 14.1" Thinkpad. I kept telling myself that 13 was going to be way too small, but after I actually bought the MacBook, I haven't really noticed a glaring lack of screen size. I guess you just get used to it. Although I will say, my wife's 15" MacBook Pro from work looks positively ENORMOUS next to mine.