MacBook V MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adm531, Jun 7, 2009.

1. adm531 macrumors member

I am deciding whether to buy a 15" or 13" Mac laptop. Aside from the obvious differences in screen size, what are the important differences between the two machines. As far as i know, the specs seem almost identical, graphics aside.

I use my current mac for videos, photos, music, word documents and web browsing (+ the occasional game). For what i do, is it worth me splashing the extra cash for the next model up?

thanks

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

if a 15" display is important, get the pro, if not get the macbook.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Worth the extra cash? probably not. I think you will be happy with either the 2.0 or 2.4 MacBook.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

For virtually anything gaming related, get the MBP.

If by "video" you mean home editing for Youtube, and by "photos" you mean for your personal use only, then get the MacBook. If you do these activities seriously, ie., professionally for work, then you need to consider the Pro, and we would need more details before giving sound advice. The fact that you had to ask says (to me) that you don't need an MBP.

If the above is a good summary, then the MB will serve you great.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBP if you want bigger screen and money isn't a problem. MBP has also dedicated GPU so it'll handle gaming better

6. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

The screen quality is also better on the MBP. It's worth comparing this in store before you make a final decision.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you do not know what the key difference is between the machines then you don't need the extra power. Simple as that.

8. nza macrumors member

plx explain, i gotta hear this.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To a certain extent, as it is an issue of power versus portability (not to mention price equations) you must ask yourself which you really need in a computer you plan to purchase. The MB is a beautifully designed machine, and is both more portable and a fair bit cheaper than the MBP. Yes, the MBP is heavier, more expensive but has far more power, better performance, and, above all, an infinitely better screen. Your call. I have a MBP and love it as it easily the best computer I have vere owned.

Cheers and good luck

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Most of PC laptops are 15" and they're very portable as well. If you go for the base MB, you will have money for a monitor and maxing out the RAM.

Your call, mate. Both are very portable so that shouldn't be an issue

11. adm531 thread starter macrumors member

OK thanks guys. I guess im going to settle for the 2.4 macbook. I can't really see the benefits that an extra £200 will bring. I think ill spend the difference on upgrading the specs instead.

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

good choice, the 2.4 is extremely nice. wish i had that backlight :)

13. Dias macrumors 6502

I hope new MacBook screen is really that better..

I just came back from a store where I had a chance to compare MB and MBA side by side, MB's screen war incredibly poor quality. :eek:

14. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Read this.

I'd say go with a 2.4 MacBook. It's the same as the 2.4 MacBook Pro without the extra graphics card, FireWire 800 and 2.1". I honestly love mine. Powerfull enough, yet not too big.

15. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I'll try to explain for him. If you're looking at options and you don't see any benefits of a larger screen, higher quality screen, and better graphics then you don't need them.

16. celtikmind macrumors 6502

As it has been said.

I can also add I'm getting rid of my uMBP. Too big and too much money tied up in it. Wish I'd gotten a 2.0 uMB from the start but thought I needed the extra power etc. Simply put, I didn't.

There's also still some bugs in the graphics driver for 9600GT giving it sometimes slower performance than the 9400M. Don't worry, Apple will fix that in half a year or so I guess. Check some of the other threads for more quirks. Either way, YMMV.

Also, many 15" PC's still run the same resolution as the sharper MB screen, so the only difference is in physical size as opposed to desktop real estate.

Good luck in finding something that will suit you! :)

17. Primejimbo macrumors 68040