MacBook v.s. MacBook Pro for Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Instylew86, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Instylew86 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am an amateur editor about to buy my first Mac laptop and I need help deciding which one to purchase. I usually have used AVID in the past so I am not very savvy about Macs or FCE so I really need some guidance so I don't go out and make a mistake.

2. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

A macbook should be fine for FCE. It meets the tech requirements.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/specs.html

the only other advise is to get a 7200rpm external firewire drive for video editing as the stock HD for the MB is only 5400rpm.

Keep in mind, though, that FCP will not run on a macbook w/ intel integrated graphics in case you upgrade in the future.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

^that's not entirely true...

Final Cut Studio will not run on a macbook, specifically Motion and Color. FCP will run just fine.

4. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

FCP, because it utilizes the processor and not the GPU, runs very well even on a Macbook, and I am editing in HD.

It is correct, however, that motion and color will not run at all on a Macbook and at least a Pro is needed.

If you are on a tight budget, a Macbook (with enough RAM) is a wonderfully capable editing machine. Who would of thought it?

5. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

The studio will run on a MacBook. Not necessarily well, but it all runs...

6. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

I just don't get why one would want to run studio in a macbook if you think it doesn't run it well. if it does run at all.

but, the previous commentator is right. FCP will work on macbooks. Not Motion or Color b/c of the GPU requirements.

I don't know what the installation process is like w/ FCP Studio on a macbook as I've nerver done it. Perhaps, it will allow one to install FCP and not the rest. In this case, if you have a macbook, it's pointless to get FCP Studio and vice versa b/c FCP is not a standalone app.

As for FCP running well? I just don't know why it wouldn't - given you have a 7200rpm drive, enough ram, and not working in super high-def. just kidding. there is no such thing as super hi-def. i mean, you don't have a thousand video and audio layers.

There is always FCE, too, which I know runs well on all macs.