Macbook - Various Issues - Please Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LGShepherd, Feb 21, 2009.

1. LGShepherd macrumors regular

Hi,

I currently own a MacBook C2D 2.0ghz with 2GB RAM and 250GB hard drive, but over the last month it has started having issues and I was hoping you guys could give me some advice before I take it to Apple.

The first issue is it's starting to show spinning beach ball when small tasks happen. Before writing this post I had one and I had iTunes open, Firefox with 3 tabs and Adium with no conversations but downloading the update. The hard drive started to make a clicking noise and the beach ball was there for 10 mins. The beach ball tends to appear when Adium is open.

The second issue is again with Adium. When i try to connect to facebook and sometimes MSN then the hard drive clicks, the spinning icon on the dock stutters and it doesn't sign in. Then when i ctrl, apple and esc, it shows at not responding.

The third issue is when I unplug my MacBook then the power cuts out and it sounds like the hard drive has just stopped spinning. The condition of the battery is good and often gets drained and charged back up.

Could this be a possible software issue? I was thinking of having a fresh install of Leopard and maybes this could help the issues?

If I do a fresh install and then update my MacBook with a backup I have made, does this defeat the object of a fresh install?

Or, is this a hardware issue? I don't have applecare either as I wasn't informed of this when I bought this (I was new to mac at the time). I can imagine repairs and what not to be very expensive when you are out of your 12 month warranty.

Sorry for the long post guys!

Thanks in advance!

2. cheesymogul macrumors regular

Could be just damaged hard drive directory structures or permissions.

Have you already checked your hard disk with disk utility?
    Start from your OSX install disc but instead of installing the system choose >Utilities >Disk Utility then run >Verify Disk and if needed >Repair Disk and >Repair Disk Permissions.

But try this only after you have BACKED UP all your files!!!

Sometimes Disk Utility can't fix the problem, but often more professional diagnostic software like DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro still do.

3. LGShepherd thread starter macrumors regular

I've verified the disk and it appears to be ok, so I guess that idea was wrong lol

I rang my local Apple store today (which is a 2 hour drive away lol) and they have no idea of what it could be. I hope the repairs won't be much because I want to upgrade soon.

4. LGShepherd thread starter macrumors regular

just a quick update!

I removed the battery then plugged it back in and it was running for about half an hour and then it cut out as normal. I've tried this again but it hasn't worked again.

I'm assuming it's an issue with the battery now but in the system profiler, I see this:

Health Information:
    Cycle count: 317
    Condition: Good

5. aluminumapple macrumors regular

if you just got the notebook than yes it is a hardware / battery problem and apple will not charge you to fix it.

6. LGShepherd thread starter macrumors regular

I've had the MacBook since December 2006 and it has been perfect up until the last month.

I hope the repair costs won't be bad because I will be upgrading to a new iMac or Mac Mini

7. nmonti macrumors member

Okay there are two things you might want to try, one is to verify the disk permissions and the disk itself and repair them if there are any errors. To do so just type "Disk Utility" into spotlight, select it, select the partition your OS is installed on, then click verify disk and after verify permissions, repairing them if needed. The second ting you might want to try is resetting your PRAM, to do so turn on the computer holding: Command, Option, P and R. Hold these keys down until the computer restarts and you here the start up sound for the second time.

As far as the hard drive goes, are you sure its clicking? Leopard is known to park the head on the hard drive quite often, are you sure its not that sound you are hearing?