macbook vehicle charger

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rockos, Aug 31, 2009.

1. rockos macrumors member

I have a blackbook pre santa rosa. I am looking for a car charger/airline charger.

I know the magna-safe from apple only gives power but no charger on airlines but that is not good enough. I also know that it does not work in vehicles.

Any suggestions would be great. thanks again.

rockos

edit: has anyone used this product or know how good it is http://mikegyver.com/IdeasnProducts/Kensington-Magsafe/index.html

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For the car, your best bet would probably just be an inverter from the local electronic shop.

It'll take your 12V cigarette lighter outlet and turn it to 110V AC power, usually good for 100W or so (plenty to charge a laptop).

As for airlines, not sure, but I do know some are starting to put 110V outlets seat-side (Virgin America for instance)

3. rockos thread starter macrumors member

anyone else have any suggestions. thanks guys

4. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

5. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I've been running an inverter in my truck for some time now, it is MUCH cheaper than the existing 12v solutions. If you have a truck stop nearby go there and get a Cobra brand inverter, these are the only ones I have found that actually last some time. The Cobra inverters also have a slightly cleaner power output than your typical cheap inverter.

If you really want you can order a pure sine wave inverter online, it'll still be cheaper than the 12v solutions out there.

I had a Radio Shack inverter for sometime and when it died it killed my 17" MBP too. The power brick wasn't able to filter out the crap the inverter sent it when it died and the logic board took a crap. Don't buy based on price alone, you get what you pay for with these things.