MacBook + Verizon Fios

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joshuaaaron, Jun 10, 2008.

1. joshuaaaron macrumors member

My parents just got fios, and the wireless router is built into the internet box. which was cool, except for the fact that it uses 64bit wep encryption. and unless im stupid, my macbook doesnt. i had to plug my old wireless router into the router (lol clutter?) i was wondering if anyone knew if i could get my macbook to work with 64bit. or if anyone has fios and knows how to change the settings on the router?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

All macs support 64bit wep. But 64bit wep can be hacked in minutes, so it should really be changed to WPA.

3. joshuaaaron thread starter macrumors member

well i tried to get into the routers settings. but i couldnt figure it out... but ill try with the 64 again

4. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

We have Fios too...

I had several issues setting up our network. But the worst was the signal was weak using the Verizon router. Talk the folks into getting Airport Extreme and plug it in and disable the router on the Verizon modem. Verizon will walk you through it on the phone. Anyway, my macs, a wireless printer and an old dell laptop have no trouble on the network now not to mention the signal is STRONG. I can go anywhere in our home or outside and have a full signal.

5. joshuaaaron thread starter macrumors member

i wish i had an airport extreme. sadly i could explain what it was to my parents. and they still wouldnt understand what it is, what it does, or why it costs...what ever it costs. lol but i just plugged my belkin router in. its been my trusty pal through 3 moves. and i was hoping since the wireless router was built into the internet box. it would be fast. lame

6. Uoila macrumors member

what model number?

I'm not familiar with the standard equipment provided with a FiOS installation. What make and model router did they give you? If we knew this we could provide better advice on how to reconfigure your wireless settings.

7. chscag macrumors 65816

Hi:

We were the first city in the US to get Verizon FIOS and have been using it for two years. With that in mind - some advice:

Only use the router recommended and\or supplied by Verizon. There are several models they use so check with Verizon support before replacing the router. Some routers do not contain the correct firmware for proper FIOS operation. Remember: FIOS does not use a modem, the connection is fiber cable from the network center (data box) direct to your router and wireless or ethernet cable to your Mac.

As for encryption, FIOS supports the latest as does your Mac. FIOS systems generate an automatic DNS address which means the router DNS primary and secondary addresses need to be zeroed out. All in all it should be easy enough to setup, but keep in mind - most Verizon techs are trained to support Windows and don't know much if anything about Macs. :(

Regards.