MacBook versus Last Generation MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Paramecium, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Paramecium macrumors newbie

I've been waiting for Apple to update their laptops since around last January.

And I thought the MacBook was perfect until I noticed on the Apple website that they have a clearance sale for the last generation 2.4 ghz MacBook Pro and with a student's discount, it's only $1400.

Now I'm not quite sure which one to get as I love the new MacBook design; but, would passing on the pro would be foolish?

...it would also help if anyone knows how the graphics on the two compare.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The previous generation computers are great deal, but you can't apply the student discount to clearance or refurbished items.

3. unwinded macrumors regular

Yes you can, click on the education link and select your school. Afterwards select 'clearance' and it will reflect the discount. I just also picked up a previous gen macbook pro. Made much more financial sense.

4. tbae12 macrumors member

Pick up the previous generation MBP. It's cheaper when you think compare specs. But the new macbooks are nice. it depends on how much you want to spend and what you need it for.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Depends on whether you care if the screen is matte or not.

Assuming you don't, I'd get the new MacBook. You get what is essentially the old MacBook Pro, but in a smaller form factor. The old MBP's screen resolution is a bit higher, but the difference is small. You also get Firewire with the old MBP. Graphics processing is around the same, but I don't play games, where every little bit helps.

On the other hand, I don't think the new MacBook is much smaller than the old MBP. The old MBP is smaller than the new MBP (except in thickness).

6. Paramecium thread starter macrumors newbie

The biggest deciding factor would be the graphics performance and if the old MBP is significantly better I'd go for it.

7. dougnewman macrumors 6502

The old MBP should be significantly better in graphics than the new MB.

8. jTreu macrumors 6502