Macbook VERY SLOW/Freezing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by macnerdiac, Nov 5, 2011.

1. macnerdiac macrumors member

macnerdiac

i just recently upgrade to lion...dont really like it either, anyways my macbook is going VERY SLOW and freezing and the little color wheel keeps coming up when im trying to browse online and while simply browsing around the HD on the macbook. Do i have a virus???? i dont know what the hell is happening .
    If i reinstall snow leopard will this fix any errors/virus? or will they still be there whatever it is after i reinstall everything??? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

i also get alot of crap pop ups too while im online

any help would be appreciated!

----------

Here is a bit in Info if this also helps?

My system memory

free 606.4mb
    wired 622.3MB
    active 589.mb
    inactive 226.mb

Used 1.40

all that is running now is firefox,itunes....and finder thats it

still painfully slow

2. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

My partner just bought a $4k imac, has nothing but Apple software on it and it constantly locks up. He called support probably 5 times and now has been upgraded to a supervisor. I helped him install Windows 7 in boot camp and it runs fine. We are about to install Snow Leopard on it.

Lion is garbage.

3. macnerdiac thread starter macrumors member

macnerdiac

im thinking about going back to snow leopard. :mad:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you don't. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Depending on the iMac, he might not be able to downgrade to Snow Leopard.

6. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

I am to, lion really sucks lion balls.....

even after 7.2 came out, still things are really slow and crappy! :mad: