MacBook very slow when working with RAW images. What can I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mjmar, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I have a late 2008 MacBook, which is the white one with the old design. It has a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo cpu, an intel graphics chip and 2gb. of ram. It's more than sufficient on an everyday basis, however; when viewing and editing RAW images from my camera it is extremely laggy. Is there anything I could do to speed this up? Will adding more RAM help?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Adding RAM will make a noticeable difference.

3. miicah macrumors regular

From your wording of the problem it sounds like you are trying to edit the photos directly on your camera.

Are you copying them to the hard disk first? USB is very slow for this sort of thing.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not what the OP said:
    The OP is editing images FROM the camera, not ON the camera. They also clearly referred to the MacBook as being sufficient for other tasks, but laggy when viewing and editing images. Also, if they were referring to editing on the camera, they wouldn't be asking if adding RAM would help, as you don't add RAM to a camera.

5. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hahah but if you could =D hehe but it does sounds like 2 gb more ram would make a world of difference

6. Sir Lorad macrumors member

You just need more RAM.

Upgrade it and you'll be ready to go.

7. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I just upgraded my 2.1 MacBook to 4gb and the difference is amazing. I am kicking myself for not having done it sooner :)