MacBook very slow when working with RAW images. What can I do?

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
I have a late 2008 MacBook, which is the white one with the old design. It has a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo cpu, an intel graphics chip and 2gb. of ram. It's more than sufficient on an everyday basis, however; when viewing and editing RAW images from my camera it is extremely laggy. Is there anything I could do to speed this up? Will adding more RAM help?

miicah

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
From your wording of the problem it sounds like you are trying to edit the photos directly on your camera.

Are you copying them to the hard disk first? USB is very slow for this sort of thing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
From your wording of the problem it sounds like you are trying to edit the photos directly on your camera.
That's not what the OP said:
I have a late 2008 MacBook, which is the white one with the old design. It has a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo cpu, an intel graphics chip and 2gb. of ram. It's more than sufficient on an everyday basis, however; when viewing and editing RAW images from my camera it is extremely laggy. Is there anything I could do to speed this up? Will adding more RAM help?
The OP is editing images FROM the camera, not ON the camera. They also clearly referred to the MacBook as being sufficient for other tasks, but laggy when viewing and editing images. Also, if they were referring to editing on the camera, they wouldn't be asking if adding RAM would help, as you don't add RAM to a camera.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I just upgraded my 2.1 MacBook to 4gb and the difference is amazing. I am kicking myself for not having done it sooner :)