MacBook Very Strange problem - Turns on only when keyboard is removed and reinserted

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kukumaka, Mar 8, 2010.

1. kukumaka macrumors newbie

So I have this very strange problem with the MacBook 13.3 inch a1181. It works fine, but if you take out both the power adapter and the batter, and re-insert them , you will not be able to turn it on. The only way you can ever get it to turn on again , is if you take out the keyboard, remove and keyboard connecter (to the motherboard), and re-insert it. As soon as you re-insert the keyboard, the laptop turns on right away. Then you will be able to turn it off and on and use it normally, until you take out the battery and power cord, and then you will need to once again remove the keyboard and re-insert it. Anyone have any idea on how to fix this? Also, do you think it's a problem with the logic board or the keyboard ? I don't want to buy a new keyboard if it will end up being the logic board.

One other thing, when you are at the user login screen and it's asking for your password, if you hold down the power button for 5 seconds, is it supposed to turn off (It doesn't).

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Was there ever a spill on the KB? I've seen strange problems with spills that will drive you crazy. My suggestion is to never pull out the battery. If that is not possible then maybe the KB is bad. You can find cheap KB on eBay if you want to go that route.