Macbook VGA external display to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cherrytsy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. cherrytsy macrumors newbie

cherrytsy

Hi all,

I've just recently bought a new MacBook Alum 2.4 ghz. I was trying to connect the laptop to my Samsung TV with a VGA adaptor as well as a MiniDisplay Port. However after plugging to the MacBook and TV, nothing appeared on my TV. It just shows "No Signal" on the TV. I tried detect displays and gather windows. When I gathered windows, there was my TV- Samsung. I tried adjusting the frequency and color but there was still nothing on my TV. :(

can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Cherry :)

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

You might need to change the source on your TV (could be labelled 'Source', 'AV', or any number of things) :)

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i had the same issue with a samsung tv and a new macbook adaptor. you have to change the source on the tv to "pc" first and then connect the macbook. let me know if it works

4. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

It shouldn't matter if you connect the MacBook before or after you change the TV source to PC.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

yeah, but for some reason now it does. because i used to have the white macbook and it didnt matter whether you did it before or after, but for some reason these new macbooks with different adaptors work differently with samsung tv's. i had the same exact problem as the OP and thats how i fixed it.

6. cherrytsy thread starter macrumors newbie

cherrytsy

Hi,

I tried both ways... but the problem is that when i try to adjust the source in the TV, there's only 1 source available for me to choose which is the AV source. There is a PC source but it cant be pressed with my remote... (its in grey shade so I guess it cant be chosen-- i don't know why).:mad:

7. Locker macrumors 6502

My MacBook hasn't arrived yet, but I plan on doing the same and hooking it up to a Panasonic plasma TV via VGA.

I don't know if this will help, but with my dads laptop I find that the TV won't detect the signal if the Laptop has been turned on before it's connected. Perhaps it's worth trying turning the laptop off, connecting it to the TV, and then powering it back on.

If that does solve it, it'd probably be quicker to put the Laptop to sleep and then wake it in the future, as that seems to have the same effect.

Good luck!

8. cherrytsy thread starter macrumors newbie

cherrytsy

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

your problem is likely the screen resolution you are using on the VGA Displayport adapter. Next time it doesn't work, try setting the resolution on the VGA adapter to 640 x 480 to see if the TV comes on. If it does, you can incrementally increase the resolution until it stops working again, giving you a good idea of the range of resolution the TV supports.

Most TV's will display "no signal" if the input resolution is set to something it dosen't understand.

HTH

[​IMG]