MacBook - VGA vs. DVI?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cleanup, Aug 11, 2008.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

So I'm getting a PC. It will actually probably become my main computer (yikes!) but mainly I'm getting it for gaming as I'm ditching the Xbox. It's got some problems and games for it are expensive. Plus my friends and I will have a PS3 on hand for any sort of Rock Band/party gaming.

However, I feel like I'm going to miss using Mac OS X so I'd still like to keep my MacBook in play. I currently use it on an external 22" through DVI, but since this will be taken up by my new homebuilt PC, I was wondering if VGA worked any differently on the MacBook? Will it detect and output just as it does on DVI? Most importantly, will I notice an image quality change?

Thanks!

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Image quailty probably won't be too bad, and it should work the same as far as output goes

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The image quality will be close to the same. Also, you could just use a DVI KVM to allow you to use a single keyboard, mouse, and Monitor with both systems.

TEG

4. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Ahh, I forgot about that. I was thinking of just using the built-in keyboard on the MacBook.

Thing is, I have the old BT keyboard. And I suppose my mouse, since I refuse to use Apple mice, will be USB, so I'll need a switch just for that? Is there software I can use for the keyboard?

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be picking up a mini-DVI to VGA at least.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You would need a USB keyboard and shop around for a USB KVM, make sure it's a USB KM (Keyboard mouse) KVM. I have one from IO Gear that worked pretty good. BT will pair with one machine, you would have to manually disconnected it, hit the kvm switch, then repair it or possibly (highly unlikely) the keyboard will be typing on 2 machines, one you can see and one you can't.

For KVM setups, go with all USB devices.

6. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Ah, screw it. I'm perfectly fine with using the MacBook keyboard. It promotes portability, the true purpose of the laptop!

Thanks for the VGA info though!

[Edit] Wait a minute. What the hell am i saying? If I use the MacBook on the external monitor it makes no sense to use the MacBook keyboard and touchpad.

Okay, I suppose I'll just have to abandon the idea of using the MacBook with my monitor then. :( It's too bad. The good times don't last forever. That is, until I save up enough to get a decked out Mac Pro so I don't need two computers! :eek: