Macbook via HDMI 720p vs 1080p on a 32" LCD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by reis.br, Dec 14, 2008.

1. reis.br macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about buying a 32" LCD TV to use as a monitor for my Macbook (Core2Duo 2,2GHz; 2GB) through the DVI to HDMI cable...

The question is: On this screen size, will I notice the difference between 1080 and 720 resolution? I've heard a lot that the Full HD is not "a must" for TVs under forty-something because you won't be able to notice the difference...at least with movies.

What do you think? Does anyone use this setup??? I'm thinking about the LN32A550 from Samsung as the Full HD option, but a 720 would be much cheaper (I'm in Brazil...).

Thanks in advance...

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

I'd just get a regular monitor. I don't find a big TV particularly comfortable for use with a computer. You have to sit further away from it because it's so big (I have 40" 1080p HDTV) and because the pixel size is so large reading text isn't too comfortable.

For gaming and movies the HDTV is fantastic but for regular use I stick to my 21" and 22" dual monitor setup.

3. manuel.mx macrumors member

The difference might be visible.

1080p tv i think have a native resolution of 1920x1080

while 720p i think is 1366x720

Imagine having a BIG display with those "low" resolutions. It will be unpleasant to use with a computer. If you check the 30" Apple Cinema Display it goes beyond a 1080p resolution. Having a "low" resolution in a big display makes the things look odd, specially text and it becomes unpleasant to use.

I got a Samsung T260HD monitor which is branded as a Syncmaster (Samsung Monitors) and includes a TV Tuner and works in my computer with a resolution of 1900x1200. Has 2 HDMI inputs, TV Tuner, Component video in, and optical sound out. It has DVI and VGA inputs too. It is a 25.5" monitor.

there are other models, a 24" one that offers 1080p and a 22 and 19 that are 720p i think. I would recommend this one, it is really good. 24/25.5" tvs dont come in 1080p anymore i think.

I love it, I can use it to play xbox in HD and it is so nice.

So, if you want to use a TV as a monitor, make sure it is 1080p... Im not sure how good it might be if you wanna use it for movies only, but for text should be bad. Some people say that you can look the spacing between pixels in text and it is ugly.

I would recommend to get a computer monitor, rather than a TV.

4. reis.br thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys!!

I made the test yesterday... went to a Apple Store and tried out both resolutions on the 30" Cinema Display... The approximate full HD resolution ended up alright (not as good as the native resolution), but the regular 720p resolution ended up too small to enable text reading and all.

The problem about buying a monitor is that the price is yet to drop the same amount as the televisions have here in Brazil... Just to give an idea: a 32" full HD tv can be bought for for US$ 724... while the best cost/benefit 22" monitor would be US$ 255... and a 24" monitor would be much more expensive (over US$ 400)... I intend to use the computer also for movie watching, thus the need for a big screen.

Well, think I made up my mind... going for the full HD TV...

Thank you all very much!

Regards