MacBook vibration/electric shock

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi. :D

I have a MacBook (late 2008, the unibody one) and I have had this problem pop up randomly sometimes. When I'm typing and my hand brushes agains the palm rest, I feel that the aluminium is giving off this vibration that feels like an electric shock. It's on the right side where the hard drive is underneath.

Does anyone else have this problem?

revbarabbas

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2009
The hard drive has a spinning magnetic platter, it's normal to feel a vibration. If it's actually an electric shock that is bad. BTW, the HD is on the left side...the battery is on the right, check the battery status in the battery menu bar icon.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The hard drive has a spinning magnetic platter, it's normal to feel a vibration. If it's actually an electric shock that is bad. BTW, the HD is on the left side...the battery is on the right, check the battery status in the battery menu bar icon.
Yes but when you turn the MacBook the right way up the HDD will be on the right of the palm rest (left when you're opening it upside down).

It's not just the HDD area, the back surface of the screen, (aluminium bit) also shocks me when I touch it.