MacBook Video Card/Graphics Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jomskylark, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Jomskylark macrumors regular

Hi there,

I'm not exactly hardware savvy, so please bear with me.

I've been looking into some cool video games for my MacBook (white, couple of years old, Leopard), and it appears I need a new video card/graphics/whatever. I think it's GeForce or something.

I've heard in the past that the video card/graphics could not be upgraded in the Macs. Not sure if this is true or if it has changed.

Is there any possible way on Earth that I could send the MacBook into a shop and get the video card/graphics updated? It doesn't have to be Apple; a genuine third party would do.

Thanks!

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Nope, it is likely you have an integrated Intel graphics chip which is not replaceable.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

No shop can help you with that issue. The integrated GPU also serves as the main chip in the logic board's chipset so you can't swap it out for anything else.

99.99% of laptops are setup this way, the only exception I can think of is a couple Alienware models that had swappable mini-PCIe type graphics cards.

4. Jomskylark thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks. I guess that rules out adding on extra hardware for better graphics/video card?

Thanks again!

5. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Yup, pretty much.

You say a couple of years... you may even be suffering the GMA950. Man I despised that iGPU (had one in my now dead Mac Mini). Though that said the X3100 in my machine is little better, but it runs Red Alert 3 so I'm happy.

If you really want to play games and you want to keep using Macs, you could take a peek into the prices of refurbished 13/15" MacBook Pros, they have superior graphics capabilities. Even if the 13" Pro still has an iGPU.

6. Jomskylark thread starter macrumors regular

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Find a late 08 mbp on the apple refurb store, CL, etc., it has a discrete nvidia 9600 card in addition to integrated 9400 graphics. AVOID older machines that have nvidia 8600 graphics, those cards had manufacturing defects which caused a much higher failure rate.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Only the 15 and 17" have the 9600GT...if that matters for the OP.