macbook video card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by future macnerd, Aug 1, 2007.

1. future macnerd macrumors member

Hello I have been contemplating getting a macbook but heard that the video card runs 3-d video games with excess lag (around 16 frames per second). Could anyone recommend a cheap video card ($0-$250) that would be campatible with my macbook and good enough for 3-d video games (unreal tournament, WoW, etc.) Thanks for your help!

2. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

There is no way to plug in a video card for a MB. You can't upgrade it.

The Stig

3. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

This is true of all laptops, not just the Macbook.

If you want something appropriate for games, get a Macbook Pro.

Also, lag is generally an issue with your internet connection in online games. The Macbook's issue would be low frame rates, not lag.

4. future macnerd thread starter macrumors member

thanks

thanks you guys for the help. That really sucks because there is no way I can afford a mbp. I guess i'll have to stick with my imac for the games. I can't believe that there is no way to install a new one!:(

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

To make a laptop laptop sized, pretty much all the main parts of the computer are integrated into one single board. The logic board, sound card, network card, graphics card etc are all on the same board. Which means the only upgrade possibility is a new main board. Or a new computer. You can upgrade the RAM and hard drive

The performance is not totally bad though, my macbook with 2 gig's ram and 2.0ghz processor can get 20(ish)fps (it's definitely playable) running trackmania, in windows, in parallels (ie running a 3D game, on top of windows, in a virtual machine in OS X)

Oh and by the way, your iMac, also not possible to upgrade the graphics card AFAIK