macbook video gone blurry and TOTALLY jacked

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brianbotkiller, Aug 15, 2008.

1. brianbotkiller macrumors newbie

So, I'm confused... I just restarted my macbook, didn't do anything big to it, just doing a restart, and now my video looks horrible, it's blurry and the resolution is shot, I have zapped the PRAM, fixed permissions, checked display settings, and reset the PMU. Nothing. Could my video driver have horked itself in some way?

I have applecare, so I can take this in... but I really don't want to. I have a lot of work to do. If someone has input on this, I'd be open, 'cuz I'm stumped. The only thing I can think is that when I rebooted, I had my external monitor converter plugged into the macbook, but no monitor plugged into it. Could this have jacked something?

Can I reinstall the driver for the intel video chip, or is this another one of those lovely things that I have no control over, unless I reinstall OS X, and still then might not fix it?

(really annoyed, here).

Thanks.

2. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

maybe try installing 10.5.4 again? that should reload the latest video drivers (if there was a driver update, which i don't remember if there was or not).

if that doesn't fix it, might be hardware.

3. brianbotkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's the thing - If I do a reinstall, I wipe everything on this disk. I guess I have no choice, but it seems massively inane to me that I can't reinstall the video driver only.

I'm on 10.4.11, BTW.

4. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

don't wipe everything. just download the combo update (10.4.11 in your case) and run it again. i have done this to fix a problem in the past i had (but not a video problem).

i think there is a way to load a video driver, because i know people are rolling back their drivers to fix problems playing diablo 2 and starcraft. check the thread in the games forum about it and see if you can do the same thing to reload your video driver.

5. brianbotkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, this is a very interesting idea to me.

I've been looking around for how to load a video driver, but if running the combo update will do it, I'll try that.

Thanks for your help.

6. brianbotkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

PS, can I hork things up by running the combo update after having run it in the past?

I'm going to back up just in case anyway, of course - but I wonder if I can blow things up this way.

I can't for the life of me understand how I'm the only guy having this issue. I can't find anyone else with it anywhere, and I've googled like crazy.

7. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

it could be hardware, which is why you might not see much else about it.

also, i've run the combo update before on my machine, and nothing changed (except the problem i was having was fixed) however, i'd always suggest backing up, just in case. i don't know how it would affect things like security releases though.

8. brianbotkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm not sure. It might be bad to go backwards on security releases, and I just ran update to see if there was anything that had to do with this issue.

*sigh*. I have a feeling I'm totally screwed, here. There's not a lick of evidence on this anywhere on the web, save for what I've now posted (yay! first post), so I guess I'm jacked, again. yay.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Just take it to the Apple store since it's under warranty. They may have a quick fix without disturbing any of your programs. I understand your frustration but it's kinda insensitive on your part to sorta "want" someone else to have your same issue. Don't we all have enough of other issues to deal with? ;)

10. brianbotkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you there, I just find it inane that there's nothing about how or why this would happen, I guess just on my own part.

Meh, I guess we'll see, I'm probably more annoyed at the fact that it's costing me $1,000 a day because I can't do the software testing on it that I need to do. I guess I need two machines, now.

11. brianbotkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

So, interestingly enough, the issue here was that the zoom (hold ctrl and scroll) had locked itself up, and was causing the issue. Resetting the keystroke combo to cause the zoom reset it - it was locked and not automatically resetting itself.

Not as complex as I would have thought, so I'm glad I didn't get extreme with it.

Thanks for the help.

12. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

See, we just need to think a little bit more simple :) Good that you got it fixed.