MacBook video issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mmpierce, Sep 10, 2010.

1. mmpierce macrumors newbie

I have two identical Late 2008 Unibody MacBooks. I think that one of them is trying to commit suicide. The other one is completely fine, and has none of these issues. They have a 2GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM. The HD is 150 GB and is less than half full.

I get beach balls while browsing non-flash sites, and the computer is laggy in general. When I watch video (usually flash), after about 10 minutes, the video will pause, while the sound continues. After 30sec-2min, the video will fast forward to catch up, and the cycle continues. The free RAM in Activity Monitor will drop to <100MB, and the CPU usage will spike on one core of the processor, while the other core drops. The fans are working appropriately, and the temp isn't exceptionally high. Once this starts happening, I have to quit Safari and restart to get the free RAM to drop back to normal levels (~1GB).

I have tried: repairing and verifying disk permissions, resetting PRAM and SMC, Archive & Install, and finally an Erase & Install of Leopard. Nothing has improved the issue. I've MRoogle'd and Google'd to no avail. Is there anyone who can provide another solution? I'm not sure if it's my RAM, or HD dying, or both? The Apple Hardware Test says that everything is peachy. :confused:

If you're still with me, thanks. I just don't know what else to try.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You may have a runaway process happening in the background. Have you checked Activity Monitor to see if something shows up there?

3. mmpierce thread starter macrumors newbie

I have. "All Processes" is selected in AM, and there isn't anything that jumps out as a memory suck. The only thing that's using an appreciable amount of memory when this happens is Safari (or Firefox, or Chrome...) and AM itself. Thanks for the suggestion! If you have any other ideas, please let me know! :)

UPDATE:
    I also ran memtest, and it found no problems with the RAM modules.