MacBook Volume Buttons Bring Up Widgets, Why?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dp1974, Sep 4, 2009.

1. dp1974 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm having problems with my sound.

#1. The sound only generates from my headphones. It will not be audible unless you keep the headphones in.

#2. When I press the up and down volume buttons (F10, F11 & F12), they either bring up my widgets or minimizes the pages into the side of the screen.

I have searched through the sound section, everything seems ok, as well as the MIDI. I purchased this computer last December, so it is fairly new.

Is anyone else having this problem and is there anyone that can help me resolve this? Or, does it sound like I need to get this MacBook repaired?

Thanks for reading...!
    dp

2. SimonJ macrumors regular

For #2, go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and uncheck the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" checkbox.

I don't know about #1.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

For #1 Check to see if there is a red light emanating from the audio port. If there is, you have a stuck switch and your MacBook thinks that a jack is constantly plugged in.

To fix this, try:

1) Plug your headphones in and out repeatedly and maybe it will finally trigger the switch to go out.

2) With the use of a toothpick or similar device, carefully poke around in the opening to deactivate the switch. (Other more detailed threads posted with more detail - use search)

3) Make an appointment with the Genius Bar for warranty/AppleCare work. This would be my suggestion if available. I would feel weird poking into the port and I would be afraid to accidentally break off a plug from the headphones with repeated in-and-outs.

4. dp1974 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done all that has been suggested. Nothing has worked, unfortunately. I do not have any lights that come out of the audio port or headphone input. It's a newer Mac, I know the older ones did that. It's odd, because if I press F12, my widgets come up when my volume should be up. But it definitely doesn't make any sound when I take out my headphones. :(

Thank you for the suggestions! If anyone knows another trick or remedy, please please please help! :confused: