Macbook volume is no longer working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chloerayne36, Aug 25, 2011.

1. chloerayne36 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I spilled water on my Macbook a month ago and now certain keys do not work. My volume was fine until I purchased a wireless usb keyboard two weeks ago so I can use my Macbook. Now I have no volume on my Macbook. I am sure it has to do with the new software of the keyboard, but is there anyway I get the volume to start working again.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

The problem is, you used the computer while there was still moisture inside the machine.

That will cause the machine to break, even if it seems that everytihng is fine before hand.

I don't think there is anything you can do; turn the computer off and put it in a bowl of rice for at least 5 days and then see if that helps any.

If not, then you're going to have to get it repaired, and no, you will not be covered by Applecare if you still have it.

3. chloerayne36 thread starter macrumors newbie

RE:Mac book volume is no longer working-Youngspade

Thank you for the quick response....what does putting it in a bowl of rice gonna do?

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Rice absorbs moisture that's inside of electronics; people tend to put phones, iPods, and whatnot in bowls when they drop them in water and, if done immediately after instant shutdown of the device, the item can be saved.

It doesn't work all of the time but it's the best (and most of the time only) thing you can do.

5. chloerayne36 thread starter macrumors newbie

RE:Mac book volume is no longer working-Youngspade

well I guess, I'm a***'d out because i didn't do anything right away. This happened almost a month ago so putting it in rice now won't help I think. I guess I will have to go to Apple and get it repaired or just get a whole new macbook.

Thanks so much for your help

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

NP: getting it fixed might cost some money but if it isn't "too" much, you'd be better off doing that; depends on how damaged the machine is though.