MacBook vs. $1649 MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phelsuma88, Feb 15, 2008.

1. phelsuma88 macrumors newbie

I'm in a dilemma. I'm in the market for a new laptop but I don't know which to choose.

I'm debating over a refurb 2.2 White MacBook and I would be maxing out ram and hard drive with third party products. I was pretty set on this option until I went to my university bookstore (SDSU) and saw they had brand new MacBook Pro's for $1649. Now I don't know which to get!

I have a new MacPro as my "home base" computer. The MacBook was an inexpensive portable option for work and note taking at school, while still quite the upgrade from my 15" PowerBook. Realistically I know I should go for the MacBook, but is the pro too good of a deal to pass up? I can afford either one but I don't like the feeling I threw money away.

I have a MacPro, so power isn't so much of an issue but then I think of those times when I'm stuck at school in between classes I may want to work on my website or a project for work. And then I think, but the 2.2 MacBook doesn't have that much less power... (or does it?) ...and then I think but the MacBook Pro is much more professional looking and when I'm out and about it will give that "professional" image which I am striving for as a business major. As you can see I am completely torn.

What I really want to know is what would you do in this situation?

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Well the question is what exactly are you going to do with the MB or MBP?

You said work on website or projects... what type of projects? Rendering or coding? From what I can tell so far, it seems more like you will probably be fine with the MB. The main advantage the MBP has over the MB in terms of internal features is the dedicated GPU. Which if you use it for website programming/design, will be useless.

Of course for the price you said... $1649, that is a rather hard deal to pass up. Factor in also how portable do you need it. I know, tough decision, basically do you need it to be more portable and would you prefer a dedicated GPU vs integrated GPU. And of course those other features, aluminum case, backlit keyboard, LED screen, etc. :D

Btw, since you already have 15" Powerbook, how is it for you in terms of taking it to class and using it. Do you think it is too heavy or big?

3. phelsuma88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

I design / run the website for my small business, create printouts, advertisements, I take a lot of photos, etc., nothing too intensive. I do the same work at my day job plus video editing.

I have pretty much grasped the fact that I would be completely fine with the MB but I just keep thinking I would love to have the pro at the right price and $1649 seems pretty close.

It's not that the PowerBook was too big / heavy, it's I wanted something more portable. Thats the other reason I was leaning towards the MB but I took a closer look at the specs and its only .4 lbs lighter then the pro and .08" thicker. Would I notice the difference?

4. rmh macrumors regular

I think you should go for the MacBook and get the MBP for me :)

Anyway, personally, if cost wasn't an issue and the specs were nice, I'd go with the pro.

5. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I don't think you will notice the difference in size (MB vs MBP) too much. In comparing the two (MB vs MBP) you will notice that the MBP is 1.25" wider. And in comparison with the Powerbook, the MBP is a smidge (0.4") wider, a tiny (0.1") longer depth wise and roughly the same weight.

Honestly I think if you don't mind the slight increase in price, I'd go for the MBP. That is a very hard price to beat considering how much it usually sells for.

You mentioned portability... do you mean in terms of weight or size? Cause weight is almost identical lol.

6. Gus! macrumors member

Gus!

that is a tricky spot ur in..

but if i was you i would probably buy the mbp if u ever wanted to use it with more processor hungry apps. also thats a pretty good price i would certainly be tempted. and yeah the mbp does look more pro so you never now when that might come in handy.

in the end its all up to you.