Macbook vs air upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kqz69, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Kqz69 macrumors newbie

Hi all

I have an 2009 macbook 17inch core due 3ghz, at the moment it's fine and doing what I want but was thinking of getting a mac air on its top spec for easy transportation for movie creating and general stuff plus easy to move around but not sure if it's worth it as the 17inch does everything.

I'm using high res video from my go pro so want to make sure if I do the change it will work

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I think you'll find the air a significant upgrade. I use my 2015 retina MBP 13 for the same thing and scrolling through uncompressed HD video (i.e., imported from teh camera) is a lot less painful vs. my 15" 2011 machine due to the SSD.

The CPU in the new air will also likely be faster in the real world too due to boosting to similar speed and being faster clock for clock than your 2009 machine.

I'd consider the 13" retina though, once you go speccing up an air, they get to very similar cost to the 13" retina and the screen is just nowhere near as good. You'll likely notice the Air's screen is a significant downgrade in terms of viewing angle and quality from your Pro. The 13" retina isn't a lot heavier but is faster, better screen, and if you're maxing out an Air, not much more $.

(went through this when i decided to buy mine).

3. r6mile macrumors 6502

In 2013, I considered whether to get the 13" Air or the rMPB. But back then, the rMBP cost £500 more, and still came with Ivy Bridge CPUs (whereas the Air had just been upgraded to Haswell). So I got the Air with 8GB of RAM for an extra £80.

These days, the 13" rMBP costs the same as what I paid 3 years ago for my MBA, and is only £70 more expensive than an Air upgraded to 8GB ram. I love my 2013 Air, but if I was making the choice today I would undoubtedly go for the Pro.

4. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

The screen on the Air is just so unbearably awful compared to the retina displays.
    I guess if you're used to 1680X1050 you might not notice it but once you go retina you (probably) won't want to go back :p

If you can afford the added cost of a 13" retina Pro, do it!
    -Especially since you edit a lot of high resolution Go Pro footage.

5. throAU, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Its not just awful compared to retina, it's awful compared to the screen on my MBP 15" classic (hi-res).

The viewing angles and colour distortion when not viewing straight on are horrific compared to the non-retina Pro screens.

The retina screens are even better in that regard, and then they're 2x the resolution. Unless you really desperately need the slightly less weight, a high spec air vs. a mid spec MBP 13" Retina is a no brainer, imho.

If you're wanting a cheaper or lighter machine sure... just be careful when speccing upwards because you get close to retina price very quickly. And its not like the 13" retina machines are heavy or awkward to deal with.

Unless you're considering an 11" air... but the screen on them is just too small to be useful, imho.

6. Kqz69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all

Sorry for the late reply I lost connection and just got it back, crazy how much I need Internet lol

Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it the MBP Def is the right choice and 13inch just to keep everything small and easy.

Now it's picking the model and getting the money

7. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

If you're not desperate for a new computer, you might consider waiting a few months. Updated or redesigned Pros will most likely be released by WWDC in June, if not before then.

8. Kqz69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers toddzrx Im gona wait ad get a newer one or cheqper one