macbook vs alienware for gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kuchiki1o, Nov 17, 2011.

1. kuchiki1o macrumors newbie

would u choose mac or alienware for gaming. i want to see those other people comments

2. twilightrose macrumors member

I personally would choose the Mac, as I dislike the Alienware computer design. However the Alienware will have a more powerful GPU for sure. So buy based on your needs and usage, if you plan on moving it alot or using it more as a desktop replacement.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well, unless you plan on getting a 15 or 17" Macbook Pro, there's not even a dedicated graphics card, so I'd get the alienware. If you're getting a 15" or 17" computer, at least it'll have a graphics card, but you're still going to have problems with the crappy Windows drivers that Apple provides. If you want to game, the Alienware will be much more hassile free.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on the games. Since it doesn't seem like you play anything with extensive hardware requirements, just go for the MBP.

5. Risasi macrumors 6502

I'm taking up F1 racing...

I'm taking up Formula 1 racing, should I buy an actual car made for F1 racing or go with a rally car instead?

(Hint: Both are fast, thy are just different kinds of fast)

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Alienware's specs should OP a macbook, but the value of the laptop for Alienware will be worth far less than a macbook in 2 years time. :D

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If you are serious about gaming, Alienware.

If you actually want a good laptop, a Mac!

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's not a car, I don't buy based on looks.

For Gaming a Mac is out. Period.

9. Swain macrumors member

Fixed it for you :)

10. aCondor macrumors 6502

While I do game on my MBP (and haven't had any problems), I can't say that Windows machines are for "hardcore gaming" only.

The MBP can hold it own on certain titles, but it is not a gaming rig in any sense of the word. This, coupled with the fact that Windows-based games vastly outnumber available Mac-native games, would lead me to choose the Alienware over the Mac for gaming.

For everything else, I would choose Mac.

11. DryEyez macrumors 6502

alienware definitely, but alienware is seriously overpriced for what you get. I would go with a common brand such as HP, the dv6 range has some great gaming laptops with dr dre beats audio

12. hotgrease macrumors regular

Everyone rags on people when they say they want to game on a Mac, but then everyone chooses Mac for gaming, lol! Alienware is the obvious answer here.

13. Kendo macrumors 68000

Of course Alienware for gaming. It destroys the MacBook Pro in that regard.

But in regards to everything else like productivity, design, and user experience easily goes to the MacBook Pro.

I for one would sacrifice the gaming aspect for all the other aspects OS X offers.

14. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

This. It depends on what gaming you're referring to. For light to medium gaming the MBP is better, but Alienware is of course going to have more power for hardcore gaming.

15. Risasi macrumors 6502

Since the only criteria he gave was "gaming" I assume "hardcore" gaming, and since he asked in the Macbook Pro subforum I am assuming he's asking comparing a Pro to an Alienware laptop (although I do believe they still have workstations, right).
    The answer is self evident, he should get a machine whose sole purpose for existing is to game. Not the superior-in-every-other-way Macbook Pro

If I can't make these assumptions then his entire thread is pointless.

16. PedroFerreira macrumors newbie

Obviously Alienware would be the best option. I don't advice anyone to buy a Mac for gaming because Mac is not a gaming computer, it's a work one. And you don't find as much games for Mac OS as you find for Windows...
    Go with Alienware, but if you want a really good laptop go with the greatest brand I know, Apple! :apple:

17. mark28 macrumors 68000

The ATI 6870m used in the Alienware is 40% faster than the ATI 6770M in the macbook pro while the Alienware laptop is $600 cheaper than the MBP.

Seems like a no brainer which laptop to buy for gaming.

18. tusctodd macrumors member

Is this a serious question?

You want to compare a company that specializes in gaming laptops and company that makes what I would call "mainstream" laptops and ask which is better for gaming?

19. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Macs are good for gaming I dont know how some of you find that hard to believe.

20. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

My answer: No, I would not buy a Mac or an Alienware for gaming.

If I were gonna get a new gaming laptop, I would get an ASUS G55 and then reload it with Windows 7. Or wait and see if a newer one comes out.

Back in 2010, when the 330M-based machines came out, I listened to people here who swore up and down that the 330M was sufficient for gaming. It wasn't. It was a dismal failure; I ended up buying an ASUS G73 (the cheapo version at Best Buy) for about 1/3 the price of the top-of-the-line MBP, and it ran rings around the Mac. Because it had an actual non-sucky GPU, mostly, but also because it was large enough to have reasonable heat dissipation without relying on super high fan speeds.

The current gen is pretty livable -- the 650M's not awful or anything -- but there's still a serious heat issue just because the machine is so very small and hasn't got enough mass or surface area for heat sinks. So in practice, I'm using a G53 (GeForce 560M with 2GB of VRAM) for gaming, and it is in actual use faster under heavy graphical load, to say nothing of actually having enough VRAM to run stuff at higher settings without much trouble.