MacBook vs Dell XPS 13

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Draganime, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Draganime macrumors member

2. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

No comparison, the Dell looks so cheap and ugly next to the Mac.

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Wao calm the fk down.

4. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I agree. Dell looks like crap next to MacBook. Of course the price helps with that.

5. TEBnewyork macrumors regular

The Dell looks like it would be a nice laptop if you had to or wanted to use Windows. However, I would probably get a Surface if that were the case. Even better, I will stick with OS X.

I do think that the fit and finish of the MB is at the highest level I've ever seen.

6. EnderTW macrumors 6502

I had the xps, returned it. It's no where near the level of premium the macbook is at. For instance, their keyboard is horrible, the material they use on the palm wrists feels "slimy" rather than smooth like aluminum or think pads.

7. 5errated macrumors member

the crap screen model is $799. to get the nice screen, you pay $1299, and at that price, it still has half the SSD size of the base 12" macbook. also, the SSD is considerably slower than the macbook m.2 drive. the dell has slight edge on the cpu, but not by enough to matter. slow vs slightly slower.

when prices are the same, I'd take the one with the apple build quality. all personal preference though :D

8. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

crap screen? Then what would you call MBA screens then?

9. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

I personally love it how when you type on the XPS the keyboard flexes under your fingers, it feels so - how to put it?.........spongey!

I agree with others, if I wanted to run Windows, I'd probably get a Surface. But Windows is not for me!

Still waiting on Apple to bring out a Surface Pro touch like device.
    Make the iPad Pro run OS X! I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it ran OS X. A bigger iOS iPad - seriously whats the point, I've never used my iPad Air and thought "geez I wish it was 2 inches bigger" Well I've thought that, but it wasn't about the iPads size:)

10. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

If i needed to run Windows, I would just run it on a Mac. I will never settle for inferior windows machines anymore after switching to Mac. It's like going back to a Ford. I can't do it.

11. newellj macrumors 601

Agree with this exactly.

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

This thread isn't comparing it to the MBA. :confused:

13. newellj macrumors 601

"Behind the state of the art when introduced."

14. Gaprofitt macrumors regular

It doesn't have the M2 drive.

15. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I wish MacBooks would adopt the edge to edge display that is found on the XPS13. The small bezel looks stunning.

16. leman macrumors 604

Very nice review. For me, the message is: if you want mobility, get the MacBook; if you need more power, get the MacBook Pro. The XPS is of inferior build quality and doesn't bring anything decisive to the table. For a mobile user who uses a laptop for business or personal things, the MacBook is a clearly superior choice.

17. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

I love the small bezel around the screen on the XPS. Hoping Apple ventures here soon, both in their computers and their phones/iPads.

18. saifrc macrumors member

I actually really liked the look of the tiny bezel around the XPS 13, which I think they refer to as their "inifinity display" or something. I almost purchased an XPS 13 a few weeks ago, until I decided to take the plunge with the new MacBook.

However, the more I think about it, the more I appreciate the black bezel around the MBP, and now the MB, screens. It creates a real visual barrier between on-screen content and the rest of the world, which is especially helpful when you're in a place that is visually "noisy". I think the black bezel helps frame the content well. (I recall that in the past, Apple used a specific tone of silver/gray for their Cinema Display bezels, citing research showing that it was the most neutral color for judging on-screen content...I guess they don't care about that anymore...)

If you go back in time, you'll see that Apple used to make laptops with narrower bezels than today. Different display mechanisms require different amounts of space along the edge for the circuitry and wiring, so that's surely been a factor in the past. But I think that, even if they could have made the MacBook screen edge-to-edge, it might have been a drawback more than a feature.

I like the look of the XPS 13's narrow bezel, but I feel like it would be subtly and unconsciously distracting, like reading a book without a margin. It's an attractive design, but possibly not the most functional. Sounds kind of like Apple sometimes :)

19. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

Oh FFS... both machines are very nice looking machines. The MacBook as the advantage of being an Apple product. If it was the same machine and said Dell, everyone would be crapping all over it. The XPS has the advantage of not being limited (power, ports, price) by the wet dreams of Jony Ive.

Sorry, I really don't like the guy.

20. saifrc macrumors member

It sounds like lots of people *are* crapping all over it, even with (because of?) the Apple logo on the lid. I don't think anyone in the tech world ever mentions the MacBook without mentioning the low-powered CPU, the lack of ports, and the high price. It's only in this particular forum, the self-selected population of MacBook enthusiasts, where you'll find anyone unabashedly praising the MacBook.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point. I'm just pointing out that we all have a tendency to filter out some types of criticism and listen to others. Some people are oversensitive to criticism of, say, Apple products, and imagine that everyone hates on them. Others see the public fawning over Apple products, and imagine that they get unfairly praised. It's the same thing with any kind of "team affiliation", whether it's a product preference, a religious affiliation, a political party, or a racial/ethnic/geographic background.

21. magbarn macrumors 68000

The dell's screen rocks, but that's about it. I can't believe Dell still can't build a notebook with a more solid keyboard than a $150 netbook. The trackpad -whilst better than other Windows laptops- still isn't up to the older Apple trackpad, let alone the latest model.

22. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

The Dell runs Windows. It pretty much ends for me right there.
    If thats not enough its made with low quality cheap parts and supported by...Dell.

23. maclook macrumors 65816

Those "cons" are very typical Apple. Why do you put all the blame on Jony Ive?

24. 5errated macrumors member

yes it does. it clocks in at about 700 MB/s. sata ssd's are capped at 550 MB/s due to the bandwidth limits of sata. still not as fast as the 1.3 GB/s I get on my desktop PC's samsung xp941 m.2 drive but it's still faster than most PC ssd's.

25. brand macrumors 601

brand

No the MacBook does not have an M.2 drive. It is easy enough to find out if you want to research it.