MacBook vs G5 Performance for Adobe Software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by proverbs, May 29, 2009.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

hello.

i am buying a present for someone who is a graphic designer. she currently has a 1.8ghz single G5 PowerMac w/ 2gb ram. i am planning to purchase the aluminum MB 2.0ghz w/ 2gb ram. she has been complaining that the G5 has been running slow, but i'm guessing its due to the clutter on her computer. all the computer is used for is CS4 (illustrator, PS, dreamweaver, flash) and web browsing.

what i'm trying to find out is if its worth it to dish out $1300 to upgrade to a 2.0ghz MB from a 1.8ghz G5. i have been told that the Adobe software is SIGNIFICANTLY faster on a C2D compared to a G5. and i'm sure the 2.4ghz MB is worth the extra $300, but not sure if i could afford that.

anyone have experience with this?

2. modular macrumors regular

i think the macbook would be quite a nice upgrade. and she'll have the portability of a laptop.

im almost in the same boat. ive got a 1.8 dual g5 tower at home, and an intel machine at work (mac pro). the intel machine is SOOO much faster (especially for flash!). In about a month, i'm going to sell my g5 and get a macbook pro :)

3. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

lol. ok.. that give me some motivation to buy the mb. the laptop is definitely another bonus. thank you!

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

but is it that much faster on a macbook? I have read elsewhere on here that for somethings a Powermac G5 is actually more usable for adobe apps. Any ideas if this is correct?

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

A Core 2 Duo MacBook would blow the G5 away. You'd be much better off with the MacBook. The only problem I can see would be the slower Hard Drive, although you could pop a 7,200rpm one in yourself if you'd want to.