MacBook vs Hackintosh

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iToch, Mar 22, 2013.

1. iToch macrumors newbie

Hey, I want to buy a new laptop with MacOSX inside.
    I want to know if heckintosh is better over MacBook (white, Oct. 2009).
    I know that the MB from 2009 is pretty old, but I'm low, and I can only afford myself laptop that cost 500$.
    I want to be an HP ProBook (which is pretty good Heckintosh, based on reviews), with i5 or i3 intel core, 500GB and 4GB.
    Unlike that PC, the MB from 2009 has: Intel Core 2 Duo, 250GB and 2GB-RAM.

I'll use the OS to edit movies (iMovie), to writing down scripts, and to download music and movies from itunes\online servers.

So, Should I go for the MB2009 or I'll get what I need from the HP's ProBook Heckintosh? (The HP is a lot more easy for me to buy, because I can get it on store next to my house).

Thanks.

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

It depends on what you value more: your time or your money.

If you value your money, then you can buy the HP and try to make a hackintosh out of it. I've done it. It takes a lot of time and sometimes doesn't come out well. I found a guide for my exact model of HP (actually I found several, but 1 was by far the best). The first time I tried, it didn't work. The second time I tried, it worked but volume, sleep, and the camera didn't work. The third time I got volume and the camera to work. I decided that was good enough. Three different attempts, using the same steps, same hardware, same software, three different results. This was just a fun project and I wouldn't use this as my only computer (it's just a toy). But it takes a lot of time and (maybe) several attempts to get something useful. If I try to run system update, then my computer will be come unusable (or I have to re-hackintosh it).
    I saved money, but spent time.

If you value your time, then you spend the extra money on a used MacBook. Assuming you don't get a faulty one, then you have a computer that works out of the box. No problems with drivers. And you never have to worry about software updates ruining your computer.
    You save time, but spend money.

3. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Getting good results out of a hackintosh laptop is a lot more annoying than a desktop for sure, suspend needs to work flawlessly, power management, wifi, graphics switching can be pita, full trackpad capabilities... imo a hackintosh is a pretty sweet alternative to a mac pro... as you have total control over every component that goes into your system... as for laptops, mehhh, macbook pro all the way.