MacBook vs iBook G4 design

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kabunaru, Jul 8, 2008.

1. kabunaru Guest

Which design do you like better? Which laptop do you think was better engineered and had better quality? Explain too.
    I just want to hear peoples thoughts about this.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Never used either, but I liked the design of the iBook. I also think the name was 10 times cooler.

It's taken about 2 years, but the macbook has just started to grow on me.

But then again, I'm not a fan of the current Apple design.. *cough*nano*cough*

3. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I loved the old G4 iBooks, the nano-scopic 12" models were amazing even though they were phenomenally expensive for what they offered. However, I much prefer the MacBook design, the design of the computer based around the 16:10 ratio screen is more appealing than the old 4:3 design, the scrabble-style keyboards are far more nicer to use in my opinion, and the orientation of the ports in order of size is a neat touch.

My only quibble with the MacBook where the iBook comes out on top is that the plastic Apple now uses for the white MacBooks still seems, despite updates, to be of far lower grade than that of the iBook.

I'm just enthralled with the Black MacBook though. Easily the sexiest notebook in the world, and I have one :D

Dæmon

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    The iBook line-up was more interesting in its use of materials. Parts were silverish, parts white, and the keyboard was slightly transparent. The MacBook is very uniformly white, which I've grown a bit tired of, especially with the expectation of a metal MacBook. Some days I like the look, some days I think, ehh, it has the big bar of ivory soap look. In terms of quality, I can only compare to an iBook G3, and despite having issues with my MacBook, the iBook G3 had far more quality control issues. Not sure about the G4.

5. sananda macrumors 68020

i prefer the ratio of the ibook. but i've come around to liking the design of the macbook recently and have started coveting one in place of my ibook.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

First off, there's thousands of topics just like this one.

Anyways, I love the size of the ibooks but I do like the widescreen aspects of the macbooks. I like the 12"-15" aluminum powerbooks even more. Wish Apple would release an aluminum 13" macbook.

7. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Why so picky? :rolleyes:
    No there isn't. I did use "Check if Posted."

Any ways, don't some of you guys wish there was a MacBook that still had the original Macbook keys and magnetic latch but the rest is the same (ratio and thickness) as the iBook G4?

8. dcains macrumors regular

I keep my 12" white G4 iBook simply because I like the size/shape so much (I've also got a 15" MBP and my wife has a white MB). I often take the iBook to work and like to use the internet while in bed, and prefer the iBook there because the screen opens wider. This G4 iBook also seems to be built of better materials, as it was new in June '05 and still looks great, with only a few very minor scuffs on the case. Only downside I've seen is that it was a bitch to upgrade the harddrive a few months ago, but still worth the effort and I'll likely keep this one until it dies.

EDIT: Not a fan of the glossy screen on the MB's, either. Apple really should offer a choice, as on the MBP's.

9. kabunaru thread starter Guest

10. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I like the look and feel of the MacBook - I think the iBook was good at the time but in comparison with the MacBook it just looks old and clunky...

11. kabunaru thread starter Guest

I agree it was good at the time but I don't agree that it looks old and clunky now. :)

12. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

macbook gets points for the keyboard, isight, better processor, easier hd upgrades, magnetic open/shut, dvi>vga, less homo looking sleep light, more memory capacity, quieter fan(s), and MAGSAFE !

ibook i love the 12" form, and, umm, the the matte screen (which opens further). i very much prefer the 12" size though so i continue to put up with it and my 2 bent up power adaptors.

13. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

i should add that i prefer the location of the speakers on the macbook, the addition of the remote and how it is capable of running with the screen shut and an external km&d

14. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I like the MacBook a lot more than the iBook when it is closed, the round shape looks better IMO. When the MacBook is opened I'm not too fond of the large white gaps between the keyboard and the screen, putting some media buttons or minimalist speakers there would make it look a little less basic. This was also the case with the 14" iBook but not the 12".

Out of the iBooks I prefer the original 12" version which had that glossy pearl look.

15. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

The iBook was the first machine that got me interested in Mac. I've debated for a whole year whether I should get one or not. But then knowing that Apple was going to come up with an Intel equivalent, I decided to wait, and finally got the MacBook.

The iBook look is much better in my opinion. It's a matter of taste. However, I just love the MacBook's keyboard. I did not have any problem adjusting to it. In fact, there was no adjustment at all.

I just wish Apple had not changed the iBook exterior.

--
    Patrick

16. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

this reminds me of a time when i didnt know much about macs..

there was a guy in the local coffee shop typing away on an iBook.. i asked him if that was one of those new macbooks and he game the the dirtiest look ever saying "No, it is an iBook." in a very snivelly tone ;) i guess he didnt like design of the macbook!

the macbook looks better just because it is thinner.. (in my oppinion)

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

The iBook is a billion times better than the MacBook. The iBook was very strong and ran pretty cool. I wish they kept that design...

18. dino0829 macrumors member

OK, I'm not a forum moderator, nor have I ever been one. But WHY, for the sake of Pete, does everybody get their panties in a twist over this stuff?!? I mean, seriously. You can't go through a single topic on the first page of this forum, without some Forum Nazi saying, "Uh, excuse me, but the first thing you need to do here is use the SEARCH function! I mean, C'MON, man!"
    Give it a rest, guys.
    I know I'll probably get yelled at for going "off topic" (another pet peeve, I know), but I've never figured that out. If it's such a big problem, have the moderators delete the topic. "We're sorry, this topic is a duplicate thread and has been removed. Thank you." Viola.

As for the iBook/MacBook, I love the iBook, but I can't wait to fall in love with my new MacBook in a week or two. :D

19. kabunaru thread starter Guest

So do you still wish they didn't redesign the iBook G4 when they moved to Intel processors? Just imagine: 12" and 14" iBook G4 with Core 2 Duo today.

20. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

MacBook over iBook any day:

- wide screen/form
    - keyboard
    - magsafe
    - magnetic lid
    - larger trackpad
    - thinner
    - easy access to HD/RAM
    - iSight
    - IR port for Remote.
    - and it looks so much better!

I do wish the screen bezel would be smaller, like on the sides of the MBP's screen.

Now when I look at iBooks, they look u g l y :eek:

21. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Those are the only two points I slightly disagree on. I sometimes I wish I had a 4:3 ratio MacBook (I have my own reasons) and thicker because of better cooling due to more breathing space.
    Agreed
    It would be better for you to say they look out of date instead of ugly. :p

22. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Gotta give my 2yen worth as i've got both..

The ibooks were/are great and all, but after using the macbook for a few months going back to use the ibook just feels 'wrong'. the screen feels too tall and its a fair bit heavier and thicker (14inch model). I feel the macbook is a far better package with the nicer keyboard and isight up top.

Not to diss the ibook but the macbook is a great improvement in just about every department. speed, weight, design, screen resolution and brightness...

(and thats not even getting started on the fact I can replace the hard drive in 3 minutes compared to 3 hours!- if i remember where all the damn screws went!)

As for build quality, I would have to say the ibook though, the macbook has too many problems with the case chipping.(not mine yet, thankfully) Most of the problems with the ibooks were logic boards, the exterior was built pretty solidly.can't say I'm a fan of the extra weight though.

23. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I wish they didnt redesign. But, it would be nice if they had a 13" widescreen iBook or 12" widescreen. Maybe a little thinner. I just hate the design of the MacBook, it looks really cheap from the outside.