MacBook vs MacBook Air 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Newjackboy, May 26, 2016.

1. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

anyone have an idea of the performance differences between my current base mid 2013 MacBook Air vs either the base 2015 and 2016 MacBooks?

Am looking to change this week. Is it definitely an upgrade?

2. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

3. SteveJUAE, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Yes, but you need to place a value on this as most of the price your paying is related to it's format not it's performance.

In day to day use what your really noticing is probably better SSD/memory/graphics over CPU performance.

If you wanted significant upgrade for your money then maybe you should not be looking at the rMB, however if you want/like the footprint of the rMB etc then yes you are moving forwards

4. Newjackboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both!

My usage is and will be web/email/streaming/photos - and have an opportunity to buy a 2015 macbook from a family friend.

I can see from specs above that the 2016 rMB is a huge jump up (performance-wise) from the 2015 version? Would this even be noticeable in my usage?

5. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

In performance the difference is about 5% ( in your case) :p ... It's not really a big difference. If you like your air and you don't mind a non-retina screen then don't buy MB ^^.

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

It's not really a massive jump for day to day tasks, your just likely that it will feel a bit sharper over your 2013 MBA as I said more to do with SSD etc than CPU and even less so over the 2015 rMB but more pleasant and graphics get the bigger bump

Given you hopefully getting a good deal from a family friend and your needs are modest I would get it now :) it's a fun thing even after a smallish MBA and of course the retina screen for you :D

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It will actually be a step down in CPU performance, battery life and connectivity, but a big step up in screen and portability and a step up in graphics.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Having had both, I can say that the 2015 MacBook should be noticeably faster at everyday tasks than a 2013 MacBook Air. At extended CPU tasks (such as the massive OCR exercise) it will throttle, but even in that case my 2016 MacBook performed comparably to a Windows PC running a similar chip to the 2014 MacBook Air.

9. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

Are you using m3, m5 or m7?

10. KPOM macrumors G5

m7.