Resolved MacBook vs. MacBook Air, Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dlimes13, Jun 26, 2011.

?

Which one would you choose

1. MacBook (Mid-2010), 2GB, 250GB, AppleCare 2/12

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. MacBook Air (Late-2010), 2GB, 64GB, AppleCare 1/12

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. iPad 2, 64GB Wi-Fi Only (New from a Store)

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. dlimes13, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Okay so I'm in the market for a more portable device to go with my 17 inch MacBook Pro. I have a few options:

MacBook, White Unibody, Mid-2010 Model, 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive (Base) - $600, possibly as low as $450 if I talk him down. Comes w/ original box, charger, discs, etc. (Can upgrade hard drive and RAM 3rd party) - Under Warranty until February 2012

MacBook Air, 11.6 Inch, Late-2010 Model, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD (Base) - $700, lowest. Comes w/ original box, charger, discs, etc. (Non upgradable). - Under Warranty January 2012

iPad 2, 64GB Wi-Fi only Model (Black or White), From a store: $699.99 (or cheaper on eBay).

What would you do? I am leaning toward the MacBook due to an upgradable standpoint. Don't ask me about my needs, I just want to hear other opinions. Vote and share your thoughts! Thanks!

2. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Since we are not allowed to ask about "needs" for the companion to a 17 MBP, I will have to guess. Since you already have a potent, portable machine, IMHO, the iPad is the way to go. The MB is an alternative to the 17" MBP, the MBA in base form is only slightly more useable than an iPad. Therefore, the iPad is the most obvious choice. However, your "needs" really dictate which would be the best. But my vote is for the iPad. :)

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well I don't know anything about "you" or what you're doing with the MacBook, but I suggested the Air.

I think that, for the "average" consumer, the Air will be a great device and get everything done that you need it to do. This is my own personal preference; I'd rather have an Air than the current MB. Pro > Air > Book IMO.

The pros of having an Air over the Book are that it's, for one, smaller and lighter. This will lighten the load on your back (one reason why I'm thinking of selling my blackbook and getting an Air) and if you only have a class or two or three a day, you should be able to get by without a charger, depending on the use between each class. If not, there's always an outlet somewhere.

Concerning power, if you aren't doing anything heavy like Editing (serious editing) for video or photo, you should be good with either model. I watch a lot of video, web browsing, some light photo editing, and I would love to do some light gaming. My Blackbook from 08 can do all of that so I'm sure either of the new models would be able to do it as well.

If you're thinking about the air, wait a bit and see if they release some Sandy Bridge ones next month, everyone thinks that they will. The C2D ones will suit you just fine though.

4. dlimes13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Well I'll fill in the needs.

Since I have an i7 Desktop PC, and my 17 inch MBP for my heavy items, all I really want a 3rd device is for:

Multimedia consumption of videos, music, very light photo editing, etc.
    General Internet browsing, email, chat, etc.
    Write up invoices for customers with my computer company on the go, instead of whipping out the MBP.

My two concerns here are:

Upgradability, Air would be a no-brainer but I can't change the hard drive or RAM (hard drive is just way to expensive w/ the OWC SSDs you can change to w/ the Air). RAM is the big one, I would like 4GB just to have in my back pocket.

Cost: The only reasons the Air and MacBook are in the discussions are because they are under $700. That's my target price point, unless there's an unbeatable deal for around the $800 area. Maybe that'll help some?

EDIT: iPad is confusing also, since I have an iPhone 4.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since you already have a laptop, and a desktop. It makes little sense to buy either laptops in your poll. The iPad of the three is probably the best choice.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well in that case I'd go for an Air, however I do have an upgraded MacBook from 08 if you're intereted in that; it would go for less than 700 lol.

But yea, either/or would be great; if I were you I'd get a secondhand MacBook if money was tight or an Air if you wanted a new machine. For basically everything aside from serious editing (video mainly), the Air can handle that.

7. dlimes13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I did consider yours a while back, but I decided I wanted something more recent and unibody.

Couple of other things to add: I would not 3G on the go with any of the devices since my iPhone 4 can act as a personal hotspot. Also, as these opinions roll in, I am considering the iPad 2 (again). I had an iPad 1 64GB twice (once in April 2010, once in January 2011) and I just couldn't grasp it since I had an iPhone. I think I could appreciate it and use it to it's potential now, but I'm still unsure.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Fair deal. Now if you're thinking of the iPad 2, I would say that the "best" thing you can do is find out what it Can't do, then figure out if you can live with that. It's interesting, I think that back when I got the iPad 1, I got it mainly for taking notes in class among the general entertainment. At that point, I never really "went" anywhere other than class and the coffee shop so i didn't really have a "reason" to own it; I didn't have the keyboard dock so typing was a bit of a pain.

But yea, if you don't mind spending a bit to get the dock (if you don't want to use the virtual keyboard) and you want to browse the web, watch video, look at pictures, etc. the iPad 2 is a great device.

9. dlimes13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Don't need to get the dock, I have the bluetooth keyboard :)

10. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

The iPad 2 really has a different, and IMO, more inviting "feel" to it, and you have a desktop and a 17" MBP, so why not try out the iPad 2 for a couple of weeks? You can always return it for an Air if after 3 tablets, tablet computing just isn't for you.

11. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

It is fun to have a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, and an iPad at the same time, but since I have all three, I find myself rarely using my MacBook Pro, using the iPad rarely, and using the MacBook Air more when I need a portable. I am mostly a desktop guy and stick to my Mac Pro, iMac, Mac Mini, etc...but I would definitely give a thought to the 11.6" MacBook Air, it's so light and easy to carry, you can sit on the couch and fire up iChat while you surf through eBay very easily. It's not much of a video editing machine and you can't play your DVDs with it, but you can run iPhoto and Photoshop without problems and it's the best portable web surfing machine around, a much better web surfing experience than the iPad or a netbook since it's actually a full-blown Mac OS X machine. That's why I would say, go for the 11" MacBook Air! You will love it!

12. dlimes13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Well I made a decision (or two). I talked someone down to $640 on eBay for a 64GB Wi-Fi, Black, iPad 2 (Comes with everything a retail box should), and came w/ the Black Leather Smart Cover. Would have cost over $800 new, and I could just replace the iPad to make it new if I really wanted. If things don't work out with it, I'm sure I could put it right on eBay and probably get more for it.

Also, this decision is also making me thinking about getting rid of the desktop PC (since I have my 30" Apple Cinema Display on eBay and it has no monitor at the moment) and just using the MBP/iPad 2 full time. Still up for debate, however. I don't use the desktop much, and for storage needs, I have a server, so I'm kind of thinking "what's the point?"

13. macman312 macrumors 6502

Ipad because you want to watch movies, since you have a iphone 4 I am gonna assume you use that as a ipod and that you like the iOS interface. That leaves photo editing and invoices- If you haven't already try out the editing on your iphone 4 it is very good and there are also photoshop apps for ipads; Invoices- well I am sure there is a app that you could use otherwise get the LogMeIn app and screen share with your desktop/laptop. But I am pretty sure there is a app that you could use to write invoices otherwise you could design one :p

14. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

iPad 2. You can use Invoice2Go for invoicing, or a PDF reader/markup app like Sign My Pad. Both eliminate the need for paper with instant email support--in fact I've totally stopped invoicing anywhere else. I use Invoice2Go for invoices and Sign My Pad for contracts. These are just too easy to use and are superior to their iPhone counterparts.

For light photo editing, try Filterstorm, it's very nice for quick cleanup work and light effects. I use it a lot to get photos ready for heavy work on my desktop, its more efficient for that kind of work. This again is far superior to the iPhone version. Editing on that tiny screen is purely for amusement.

The MacBook just doesn't make sense if you've already got a MBP. The Air is definitely cool, but doesn't really offer you anything but a smaller computer that still isn't as easy as an iPad.

15. Duluth Baptist macrumors member

Normally, I would say that you would be crazy to ditch the desktop. However, if you have a display already and can live with using that, perhaps you're right. Assuming that your MBP has all the horsepower that you require--desktops do have more juice in them.