Macbook vs Macbook pro 13 and 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seetharamv, Mar 9, 2015.

  1. seetharamv macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2015
    #1
    Hey so I am looking to get a new macbook as mine is giving me some problems (its 2012 Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB and 4 GB ram).

    I am an undergraduate Architecture/Design student and I mostly use Illustrator, Muse, Photoshop and AutoCAD. And at any instance two or three of these app keep running along with safari and etc.

    My options currently are
    a) To buy the new macbook although its inferior in terms of processor etc but is very portable and keep my older macbook around and get it fixed as its still under warranty.

    b) To buy a Macbook pro 13 inch 3.1GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7,16GB RAM with 512 GB Flash storage and Intel Iris Graphics 6100 and dispose my 15 inch laptop as this turns out to be a little cheaper than the upper end 15 inch macbook pro.

    c)To get the 15 inch macbook pro 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram with 512 GB Memory, Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory.

    Out of these two options I like the second option but my concerns are the screen size and the Graphics. But i don't know if i should be more worried about the processor or the graphic card for the kind of applications I would be using.
     
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #2
    If I was you

    I'd get your current one fixed under warranty and wait for the 15 inch upgrade in the summer. You will miss that quad core if you get anything but the 15 inch, and the dGPU upgrade in the summer may well be worth waiting for.
     
  3. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    The new MacBook does look sexy but I think the slower CPU and GPU is going hamper you more then help you. Why spend 1,300+ bucks on a computer that is slower.

    What's wrong with your current computer and how much money will it cost to repair it?

    At this point, I think buying a 13" or 15" MBP may not be the best use of your money. Not knowing the full picture, its hard to provide specific advise, i.e., what exactly is wrong with your 2012 rMBP.
     
  4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #4
    Well I would forget c), that really isn't worth it at the moment. Maybe after an update but currently just getting the old one fixed is probably smarter.

    If you can afford it a) is probably not a bad idea. It is not bad as a second notebook. As the primary the GPU performance would probably be a let down. b) is kind of the weird in between only worth it if you prefer the 13" size and don't want 15" anymore.
    It really depends on how much the repair costs. If you need a new 15" see if you can wait until they update them.
     

Share This Page