Macbook vs. Macbook pro 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dalskov, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Dalskov macrumors newbie

Dalskov

I'm in a dilemma between the following two:

Macbook 8GB/1,2GHz m5/512 SSD
    or
    Macbook Pro 13" no touch/16GB/2,0GHz i5/512 SSD

I will mainly use it for e-mails, web, office suite, netflix and Hearthstone - maybe a bit of photo editing but nothing hardcore.

Which one would you pick and why? Would you keep them upgraded or downgrade em?

Thanks for your time and info.

BR

2. psymac macrumors 6502

I'm thinking the same thing, but either the 1.2 M5 or 1.3 M7 Macbook is about $1500, and for about $300 more for the MBPtb you get better screen, 20% or even more higher performance, reportedly better keyboard, more ports, larger trackpad, touch bar, higher res camera, better speakers, and probably better resale value, etc.

Heck, for the same price minus the touch bar, you can get the MBP entry model. I'm not so sure I need the upgraded SSD, with so many cloud storage options the 256GB SSD is plenty.

Only downside for me over that if the MB is slightly larger form factor and yes, more weight.

For me, MBPtb wins.

3. grifftaur macrumors regular

I think you're better off getting the MacBook Pro 13 inch no touch bar. The power is going to be better on that than the MacBook. I would say that the 16GB isn't necessary and you should go with 8GB. The stuff you're doing based on what you listed won't require more than 8GB. You should be pretty comfortable. Check out this thread for deciding on Ram. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-much-ram-do-i-need-in-my-macbook.1756865/#post-19384469

If you prefer the smaller screen and a lighter laptop, that might be the difference maker.

4. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

I have a macbook 12 retina and was tempted on the pro 13 with no touch bar. But ultimately the biggest kicker for me to not upgrade.. macbook 12 retina is fanless.. I just can't see the pro 13 being nearly as quiet so that alone has me keeping my macbook 12 retina.