MacBook Vs. MacBook Pro, Again

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryhno45, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ryhno45 macrumors regular

I am partially sorry for being another person to ask this question over-and-over again.

I am excited as most of you are about the new notebooks tommorrow. I have always been lurking these pages, and being the huge procrastinator that I am, it took me almost 2 months to finally make an account and ask this question..

Which should I bother getting?
    My uses would be school, games, surfing the net, and watching movies.
    I have a desktop at my house ( an HP), so mainly most of my games would be stored there aswell as movies.

From what I have been reading, the only difference between the MB and MBP (Internal Difference) is the video card. Unfortunately, with all my reading I still do not have a clear definition of what this video card is and what difference it makes.

I heard that people who edit videos frequently, do a lot of multimedia, etc. require the Dedicated Video Card.

My major is Civil Engineering, and I will have to use AutoCAD. I am not sure if AutoCAD can run on a mac, but if not, I will use Parallel's ( If that method will allow AutoCAD to work) or if not, I will just keep it on my desktop.

But, I also wanted to know if the dedicated video card shows a major improvement while watching DVD's. If so, is it worth the extra $1,000?

Thank You for your response!

*Extra Note*
    Sorry for the huge Brick Wall...

*Extra-Extra Note*
    I plan to upgrade the memory to the max. allowet. (4gb if its the max, or if the new notebooks can hold 8gb, then I will find some way to get 8gb). I would also prefer a 15' monitor, but I do not really like the 17'.

I would like to spend no more than $2,000 in total including Apple Protection Plan and 7% Tax. But if it goes a little overboard, I might just be tempted to add in the extra cost.:D

2. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I'm not familiar with AutoCAD, so my response will not take that into account. However, you should also ask yourself if you will really need to install that program on your home computer (people often say wild things to justify a big purchase).

With respect to your other tasks, I can't really see the justification for a MBP. The MB can handle general computing tasks like word, excel, internet, DVDs, etc. with ease. Moreover, if the majority of your 'gaming' will take place on the desktop, then I wouldn't count that against the MB - it should be capable of running the standard stuff. Also, being a student, you should really factor in the weight of the notebook. You'd be surprised how much of a difference one or two pounds can make when you're lugging around 5 textbooks!

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

AutoCAD is a big user of resources and it might baulk a bit on parallels, but should be dandy using BootCamp.

Go for the MBP, rather than the MB. CE programs will always need more power.

Be sure to buy your ram after-market - that will save you a fair amount of cash right there.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If rumours are correct then the new MacBook will be more than capable of running AutoCAD. That said, it's just a rumour and you really should wait until tomorrow before making any decisions.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

When I was deciding between the MB and MBP, the main difference for me was the larger screen of the MBP. I would imagine that it would be beneficial for AutoCAD.

6. redmeister macrumors 6502

yup, go mbp for bigger screen and vid card for AutoCAD if you'll be using that.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree. A bit more power and performance, and a much better screen are the main differences between the MB and the MBP. I have a MBP and the screen is excellent; however, consider the portability issue - the 17" is uncomfortably large to carry around regularly - and, above all, wait until you see what has been unveiled at the imminent updates.
    Cheers