MacBook vs Macbook Pro - Cant Decide!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rossgumbrell, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. rossgumbrell macrumors regular

    Nov 8, 2006
    Hove, South East England
    Hi All.

    Got a bit of a dilema. Having trouble deciding between getting a MacBook vs a MacBook Pro.

    The computers in question are the Black Macbook with 2gb RAM vs MacBook Pro 2.33ghz.

    As of last week i had my mind set on getting the MBP with no thoughts of even getting a MB. The computer is for Uni and im leaving in September.

    Heres where is gets slightly more complicated. As we all know... Leopard isnt being released now until *shrugs* October *shrugs*. So, buying the Laptop before then seems kinda silly.

    The price difference between the MB (+ 2gb) and the 2.33ghz MBP is around £600. The only *real* difference in the computers aside from the processor and HDD is the graphical capabilities of the MBP, and £600 is alot of money (especially to someone whos 19 years old - about to go to Uni).

    I work as a sales advisor in a place called Solutions Inc. (an Apple Premium Reseller). So the question boils down to, what is the more sensible option?

    I can buy the MB and actually build a very high spec PC for Under £1000:

    C2D 2.4Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    GeForce 8800 GTS 640Mb (DX10)
    250gb 7200RPM HDD
    7.1 Sound Card

    As i get staff discount i can get the MB + 2gb Ram for around £1000.

    So, am thinking:

    1. Build the Windows comp (used for Gaming really...) wait till Leopard and hopefully a MB update then get the MB (wont get staff discount as wont be working here anymore :( , but will get 'higher education discount') Sell 12" PB (sell for around £500). Total cost - £1500 ish

    2. Build the Windows comp and stick with my PB (used for work and internet use) Cost - £1000 ish

    3. MacBook Pro, Sell PB - £1000 ish

    4. MacBook, sell PB - £500 ish

    Help me!!!
  2. mattwhite macrumors newbie

    Apr 16, 2007

    I'd go with Option 3. The MBP works great as a Windows PC via BootCamp. When I upgraded my laptop from PB to MBP I actually stopped using all of my other machines to the point where I have sold them on eBay. I went from having 5 computers to 2!

  3. rossgumbrell thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 8, 2006
    Hove, South East England
    Thanks for the reply Matt

    My one and only concern for that, is that PC Gaming is moving forward to utilise DX10. Although the graphical capabilities of the MBP are nice, they cant come close to matching the 8800's, and unless they manage to create a mobile graphics card that supports DX10 for the MBP before November (likely!?!?) then it seems silly to go for the MBP if the games i buy wont be able to run too fast on the graphics card
  4. panda macrumors regular

    Mar 15, 2004

    without knowing exactly what you intend using your computer for, it may be hard to advise correctly.

    but reading between the lines, it seems you are a bit 'computer-obsessed' right now.

    my view?

    unless you need a bigger screen (15 or 17") all the time, buy the macbook and save the money. do not buy the second computer you are thinking about also buying.

    the macbook will be great for you, especially if you have a second screen you can connect to it. basically the macbook, for what you are getting, is a steal.

    leopard should not be a factor in your decision -it can be added later, if yo want.

    doing this, you will feel better (certainly richer) and with the money you save, you have a cushion to enjoy life a bit.

    if at some future point, you feel like getting a different computer because of new needs, the macbook can be sold with much less of a loss than the mbp.

    the only proviso here, is that, if you really intend to use your laptop as a stationary computer all the time, then maybe it is smart to consider the imac?

    (now i've got you totally confused) :)

Share This Page