Macbook vs Macbook PRO (design..)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mr goosey, Nov 4, 2007.

1. mr goosey macrumors member

Hi all

My girlfriend is about to purchase a Mac laptop

Should she go for the Macbook or the Macbook Pro considering her main usage will be for work - 2d design using

Photoshop
    Illustrator

Then the usual wordprocessing, email, spreadsheets etc.

She often uses my new Macbook, because it's much faster than her Powerbook G4. So would she really need the extra graphics processing power of the Macbook PRO or the only real benefit be the larger screen size.

Thanks in advance.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The only benefit would be the screen size. The MacBook has enough processing power to be almost the same as the MBP in 2D designing. The MBP's graphics card is superior to that of the MB's in that it has more memory and can do 3D things, but 2D things are done with the processor, not the graphics card. So given the current speeds of what's available, the MacBook would do fine (maybe an external monitor to give her that extra screen space). Ah, almost forgot, the MB has a glossy screen, so the external monitor would be best for color accuracy, or the MBP, which is matte or glossy. I'd just go with the MB and buy an external monitor with the saved $. (I went with MBP, 3D stuff...)