Macbook vs Macbook Pro for audio use

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nocturn, Oct 17, 2007.

1. nocturn macrumors newbie

nocturn

Hey all! my names liam and im from Ireland, and this is my first post here :)

Basically im upgrading from my ibook G4 with 1.2 Ghz pro and 1.2 GB ram. I run a small home studio using Pro Tools, and have recently found my ibook not being able to handle 20-ish tracks with at least 2plug-ins on each track!

I want to ideally upgrade to the 2.2 Ghz Macbook Pro, but its at a stretch budget-wise, and i wouldnt be able to afford any extra RAM. My question is: would a Macbook 2.16 Ghz with 2GB RAM, be able to handle what im gonna want to be doing or should i borrow, steal and beg for the extra cash for the Macbook Pro?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i want to buy this weekend!

Thank you! Liam.

2. stu.sutherland macrumors newbie

I'd borrow steal and beg for the extra for the Pro, personally.

Not just for the speed bump, but for the fact you have a larger screen, makes it much easier to mix with when you can see more of your track mixer!

Plus if you came into 10K you could get yourself a Pro Tools HD1 rig... :) Obviously with the new M-Box family and M-Powered Pro Tools there are plenty of I/O options available.

But saying that, the MacBook will be an excellent choice for what you want, seeing as you're coming from a 12" I'm guessing you like the portability? Plus it will be lightning fast compared to the iBook.

I run Logic Pro 8 on a MacBook at work, and it copes 10 times better than my 1.42GHz iBook at home. So if you got the MacBook I think you'd be more than happy with your purchase.

3. nocturn thread starter macrumors newbie

nocturn

Yea it really needs to be portable.

Is the 2.2 MBP gonna be THAT much faster than a 2.16 MB with the same RAM? thats whats been annoyin me for weeks!

Cheers fer the reply though!

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not really. The only difference would be noticeable if you were doing graphics.

5. nocturn thread starter macrumors newbie

nocturn

How so? ill be doing a lot of audio processing, would this not have the same impact? And can the Macbook take up to 3GB RAM? Hows this done, a 2GB and a 1GB?

Sorry for all the questions, but i really really appreciate all the help!!