Macbook vs Macbook Pro for music production and video editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by larasatinening, Jun 20, 2014.

1. larasatinening macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    finally after years,i will buy a macbook. Too many good reviews. i just need to figure out which one. The latest news says there is a great macbook that just came out and a macbook pro that is similar, but with firewire and a possible 8 GB ram (plus better grafics).

I will be doing ONLY video editing (lots of hours to edit), and id like to start making music. Im no musician, but i can learn quick and dont want to get a computer that i'll master and need an upgrade in 1 years time.
    The thing that makes me undecided is that the MacbookPro can hold up to 8gb ram!! doing video editing ill need all the speed i can get.
    MY BUDGET IS LOW! Being in italy and paying in euro is a bummer but by budget is around 1200 euro. in this id like to get decent speakers and if possible a headset.
    Id go for the macbook, cause sooo many people say its great and it can hold anything. How useful could the 8gb of RAM and the extra stuff on the macbook pro be to my needs?? Id obviously stack up on RAM either way..
    Thanks guys for all your help..[​IMG]

P.s. on a mac-rumors site, they said to be careful for the macbook pro cause its getting to the end of its cycle..

2. Crugga macrumors regular

Not so sure on video editing but Apple logic is only £140 which is less that half of what the other pro music apps cost. And being made by Apple it is totally optimised for Apple and will run well on most specs however I do believe in future proofing. The more powerfull the machine the more tracks you will be able to have and the more vsts you will be able to run(One is affected by ram and the other processor speed), this can be reduced vastly by working tidier, shutting unused vsts and recording channels to audio.

I was using a 2010 13" which was just a dual core till recently in a semi pro capacity and it was sufficient but was at times limiting. Recently upgraded to the 2.3/512/16gb late 2013 and it absolutely walks anything I throw at it without the need for cutting corners.

You definately want a pro though rather than air from a power point of view.

As for the upcoming upgrade, with your budget I suspect you will be looking at not new.

Saying this have you looked on ebay?, I bought this off a US seller on there for £1450gbp which is nearly £1000 under its price here. It was shipped from the UK and quick delivery, being in the EU there wont be any tax if bought from UK or Germany which is where this seller seems based.

3. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

cmon dude thats like asking whats better for speeding a 4 cylinder or a V8

4. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Don't think your budget allows you to indulge in a mac based environment for your stated needs.

You're looking at the old, classic MacBook Pro(the one with the spinning HDD/user upgrade-able) with all the ports you need. But even those seem expensive in your country...

Ideally, you would be buying the 15'' rMBP, either of the Feb/Oct 2013 with the dedicated graphics.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Get a Mac Mini i7 2.6ghz, put 16gb of RAM into it, add an SSD...

6. Crugga macrumors regular

Yep agreed here, amazing value for money if portability is not important.