MacBook vs MacBook Pro for simple needs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RBHeuch, Dec 9, 2007.

1. RBHeuch macrumors newbie

I'm planning to purchase my first mac and want a lap top. I know spec wise all I need is a MacBook (e-mail, lite photo editing, Internet, office, maybe some gaming), but I'd really like the 15" screen on the MacBook Pro... Will the larger screens ever come to a MacBook? Should I just buy an older model MacBook Pro since I don't need the top-notch stuff -- will that save me money?

Thanks.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's doubtful that there will ever be a 15" MB. Apple has tied screen-size to the P line. I'd recommend picking up a used MBP if you really need the size.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Get a macbook and 20" external display there's no reason to get the pro for what you want to do.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

A different (and also interesting) question, I think, is when/if the matte option will come to the consumer line. I'm going to miss my iBook's zero-reflection screen. However, matte is only offered for the MBP, and I'm getting a Macbook. Oh well. Maybe by the time I'm ready to upgrade again!

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I don't think matte will come back to consumer level because lots of people like glossy and it seems to be the new standard with even consumer level Displays as well.

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I'd look for a refurb MacBook Pro as you said. The chips might not be the latest but if you don't require those, it makes sense getting something older and less expensive.

7. RBHeuch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input/advice. If I get a refurbished MacBook Pro, what should I look for -- is there a certain "version" (not sure if that's the right word) of the model that you would recommend, like, don't get anything older than Jan 2007, for example? Should I expect Leopard and iLife '08?

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

In general, you should be fine with whatever you get, as being refurbished, it'll actually have gone through QC :^)

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Look for the model that's out right now and yes you will get leopard and iLife '08

10. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Try the apple store for refurbs, if we are all right about the suggested upgrades in janurary there will be the current models offered as refurbs around janurary time to get rid of old stock, thats my best advice for you!

That way it will also have all the nuts bolts and whistles of a new mac!

11. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

i suggest that you get a macbook NOW or;

WAIT after january for the new slim mbp.

for me I just bought the mb. Im gonna see the new slim mbp and wait for an update or two before i open my wallet.

12. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

he wants the screen size of a macbook pro... so the above post doesnt' really apply to his problems.

I'd go for the 2.2 sr refurb that is 1699 (1801 with illinois tax) if you can afford it. If not, then a 2.16 c2d appears occasionally for 1499 (a little less then 1600 with tax) would suit your needs fine. If I am right it can notice up to 3.3 gig of ram i you put in 4gigs, but 2 should more then suit your needs fine.

You'll get a drop in disc of ilife 08 and leopard. Breeze to install, or you can leave it with tiger for a while if you wanna get back into the swing of things. I think that model would be great for you, but of course the 2.2 is nice cause it is LED (and i think the yellowing problem is a lot less likely on refurbs.. mine was PERFECT... since it was already checked multiple times), better battery life and the ability to get more ram, but since it's 200 dollars more, and you may not need it, I think a 2.16 refurb would be great, and not much more then the top of the line macbook.

:) Happy macing.