macbook vs. macbook pro for traveling editor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marcel37, Apr 29, 2009.

1. marcel37 macrumors newbie

Greetings,
    I join the many that ask the eternal question: MB or MBP?

I am a video editor that moves around a lot. I usually do simple rough cut stuff from time to time and need to upgrade my mobile unit. Since I travel, the 13.3" MB that I can ultimately hook up to a large monitor is perfect. Power is sufficient as well.

The problem is obvious: Firewire.

Springing the extra money for the MBP is no problem, but I really wanted something that would be smaller and more compact where I could do offline, touch ups, etc. This would also replace my on-the-go g4 titanium as a personal machine.

I have other computers with Firewire and have access to more powerful machines that I could import with and I would want to know what others thought of this.

Any advice/input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    M

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm if you were using the top model then i would suggest staying with the top model (i.e. MBP).

if you MUST go with the MB

USB to FireWire adaptor

this adaptor COULD work for you if you could find software to import your clips with windows (either via parallels or bootcamp) - then you could edit the movies using your mac FCP/FCE or iMovie :):)

i guess i should ask - how do you connect your camera? USB or Firewire? are your external HDs firewire too??

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Honestly I don't think the form factor is that much of a difference. Especially if price isn't an issue I'd go with the Pro; for the times you set it down on your desk the firewire will help.

4. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i say just go for the MBP

no need worry about using a converter on your macbook. however you could always invest in a refurbished blackbook, it'll have firewire and its 13 inches if thats the size youa re still looking for

5. demarcopbl macrumors member

Having seen how the macbook handles lighter editing apps like final cut, id say go with the pro. I use a 2.4Ghz 4Gig RAM macbook pro for some 'on the fly' after effects/compositing work and it works fine. Render times on heavier comps can run a little high, but no lag or anything even with illustrator/photoshop/AE open simultaneously. Only thing I would say about the pro is that when editing, the battery life is horrible. Dont expect to be wireless for longer than a couple of hours. Although I think this is improved in the newer models.

6. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I would go with the pro if weight is also not a factor.

7. macgrl macrumors 65816

Go for the pro, bigger screen is nice to have :)