Macbook vs. Macbook Pro Life expectancy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ytaimaishu, Nov 9, 2008.

1. ytaimaishu macrumors newbie

ytaimaishu

Hey guys I'm brand new to this place and apple in general. I built my own PC 4 years ago worked ok but is now on the brink of death. I really want a mac to try my hand in some ametaur? video editing and music (garage band type stuff). Anyway I am willing to fork out around $3000 if absoultely neccessary for a laptop computer but would rather not? I know this question may have been hounded to death but I was wondering if a macbook would last as long as a macbook pro (as in the power to take new and upcoming editing/music programs). Or if a regular macbook will be good enough for my needs. Want to eventually get final cut pro IF i enjoy making videos on Final Cut Express, and definitely will get Logic Studio eventually, garage band is fine for now though. Any thoughts?

2. doctoree macrumors 6502

If it is SD Video you are working with than I'd suggest a MB or a IMac if you prefere something stationary. For HD I strongly recommend a high end MBP or a high end IMac.

A Mac Pro is overkill.
    The nice thing is that you won't have to fork out even close to 3000 Dollars.

Doc

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Assuming whatever video camera you're using uses USB, a MacBook will be just fine. If you're camera is Firewire, then you'll need to go up to the Pro (I wouldn't suggest the plastic MB for video... I've done some on mine, and it's not a very pleasant experience).

If you plan on getting into Final Cut Pro and using Motion, then the Pro's better graphics capability will be appreciated. But the MB will do fine enough for the video.

Whatever you get, I would add an external monitor: a 13" or 15" screen isn't going to be very nice to use with FCP.

4. ytaimaishu thread starter macrumors newbie

ytaimaishu

Cool thanks for the advice guys. Right now I'm planning on getting a regular macbook but fully "upgraded" to 2.4, better hard drive, 4gb etc etc...

From what it sounds like it will work fine for video on FCE. Will it work good for Logic Studio though? I heard something about not being able to do as much with a regular macbook??

Anyway I'm only a freakin amateur at this stuff, just want a hobby mostly. I don't believe it's worth $2500+ for just a laptop when I can spend that much and get a computer + software. Money really isn't too much of an issue but why waste it on stuff I don't need, right? I know the macbook doesn't have the same graphics as a pro, but it's my first mac and I'm sure it will work just fine.

And I guess back to my main question will my macbook withstand the test of time having "only" 2.4 and not the "macho" graphics card that comes w/ the pro when they come out with upgrade after upgrade? In other words, should I buy a Pro just so it will last longer?

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The only reason to buy the Pro is if you actually NEED the better graphics card. If you are doing amateur video and are not interested in 3D gaming or modelling then you don't need the better graphics card. You'd be paying money for something which you wouldn't use.

6. ytaimaishu thread starter macrumors newbie

ytaimaishu

Thank you very much. You just made my job very easy...