MacBook vs MacBook Pro Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teerexx52, Aug 4, 2007.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I currently have a 2.16 MacBook. I am very much a 'screen" person. I had a MacBook pro 2.4 about a month ago but after two screens with the bottom 1/3 yellowish tint I returned it for my current MacBook. I am am interested in peoples' opinions on the two screens for brightness and overall quality as I am considering another try at the MacBook pro. Thanks!

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I just bought a SR Pro and a MB for my mom. I have them side by side and there is no comparison. the pro screen is gorgeous.

3. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks I appreciate your input. I have to decide if I want to make a move. My MacBook is nice but that pro screen is sooo tempting. (if it isn't yellowish)

4. G. I. macrumors member

The Pro screen has strong brightness but if you get the yellowish bottom crap you got served. And there's no guarantee that you won't get that Samsung crap.

5. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, I know. I had two last month before this MacBook that had that yellowish 1/3 bottom part of the screen. I thought maybe the batch had passed. Doesn't matter at this point as my local Apple Store has no MacBook Pros but even so I still may stay with my MacBook till this all settles out in the fall. This is a great computer with a real nice screen. Just that the LED is sooo tempting,

6. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

My MBP is a week 28 build with the LG glossy screen and I've not had any issues with yellow tinting at the bottom or dead pixels, etc. Now that its a couple of months down the road, I would think that Apple has addressed these issues and that any new MBPs should be fine.

I can't say enough about how happy I am with my purchase. I've been in front of my MBP 8 hours every day since I got it and I now have an Apple tan from the very bright screen :D .

I say go for it.

7. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

From personal experience the MBP screen is a lot brighter. Im sure this is down to the LEDs.

8. future macnerd macrumors member

sorry this may be a little off topic but what is a SR mbp? (what's the SR mean?)

9. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I had both side by side at one point and the MBP is brighter but by as much as I thought it would be.

10. henhowc macrumors regular

Sometimes I think the SR (Santa Rosa) MBP is maybe TOO bright :p

From my estimation the max brightness is probably about 2-3 ticks higher than the old MBP C2D/CD screens.

11. mayoko185 macrumors member

just a fyi I got a samsung /w no yellowing issues. :cool:
    SR = Santa Rosa, the name of the chipset the current MBP's use

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

It's definitely bright. I'm still getting used to it and when I turn it on in the morning it gives my eyeballs a shock.

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

My SR MBP's screen owns my old BlackBook's. This thing is nice, no problems to speak of, and it is really bright (almost too bright, actually)... too bad the 17"ers aren't LED.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

SR stands for Santa Rosa, the development codename for the chipset found in the current product cycle of MacBook Pros. In short, it means a "current" model.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Actually, Santa Rosa was the codename for the platform. The chipset (965) was codenamed Crestline. :)

But yeah, when people refer to the "SR MBPs", they are talking about the current MBPs running on the Santa Rosa platform.

16. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I have a Samsung screen as well, and I do not think it's crap. It's a pretty early one too, placed the order on June 7, just a few days after they were released, and I have no screen issues whatsoever. The color LCD calibration was RIDICULOUSLY yellow but all it took was one long calibration and it looks beautiful.