MacBook VS MacBook Pro - SO CONFUSED!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thaa8thWonder, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Thaa8thWonder macrumors newbie

ok guys, I know theres gotta be some threads on this on this bored somewhere, but to be honest Im not finding the answer im looking for lol.

ok, so.... my iMac of 3 years has had a new harddrive put in it twice in the past 10 months, and last night it went again, so I decided its time for a laptop. Now heres my thing. I checked out the specs of the Black MB and the basemodel MBP, and to be honest, I think the MB is better for the money, cause its basically the exact same specs.

Now heres my confusion. I work as a graphic designer, not from home, but occassionally ill do a project here and there on illustrator and photoshop. EVERYONE is telling me go pro for the graphics card, but is it really that major of a difference? a friend of mine (also a designer) has had her MB for about a year, and according to her, the graphics are fine.

On top of that, Im going to get my iMac fixed and keep it in my house as a back up, with all my programs on it.

I really think its foolish for me to spend an extra $500+ just for a graphics card when i really wont notice a difference... Please guys, any imput would be GREATLY appreciated :)

2. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

My understanding is that the discrete card in the MBP would benefit 3D graphics more. If you're not playing the latest 3D games on your machine, the MB should be more than adequate.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

What you could do is buy a refurbed MBP, that's about the same cost as the black MacBook.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A couple of other things to consider. First, the MBP has a larger screen. Second, the MBP gives you a choice of matte or glossy screen. Don't know if either of them is important to you, but thought I'd throw it out on the table.

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you personally know someone that's going to be doing roughly the same thing that you'll be doing, and she says its fine, I think that's probably the best advice you can get. :)

6. jimjoebob macrumors member

jimjoebob

It has been almost 10 years since I started working in the world of print design. I have gone through about 3 desktops and 1 laptop.

I too have been in the same place, wondering what the difference is between graphix card and how that might affect my work flow.

So far, it seems as though there are two kinds: integrated graphix and stand alone cards. Stand alone cards, like those found in the MBP benefit only gamers, 3D artists and video editors/film makers. Integrated graphix cards are fine for print design work done in photoshop, ill, and inDesign. Even if you choose to hook up a 23 incher to the MB, the integrated graphix card will be more that enough. But no dice on the 30 inch display.

But I would look into the re-furb MBP for the same price as the black MB. More realestate is always better. 13.3 vs. 15.4.

7. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

But if you're going refurb, you could also get a refurb MB for cheap too.

The MBP has a bigger screen which is nice, though the MB is a bit more compact and portable.

8. lasuther macrumors 6502a

The mid level white MacBook is greater value than the black MacBook for the same hardware. If money is a great concern, the white MacBook makes a lot of sense. But, if you're screen size and resolution are big concerns, the 15" MacBook Pro might be your only choice. Or go with an external monitor.

9. mikesk8 macrumors member

..if you mainly work in 2D not 3D, graphic card is not so relevant issue.. mbp has bigger screen (LED) and you can choose matte.. it was the major factor why I chose mbp over mb ... personally hate glossy screens;)

10. Thaa8thWonder thread starter macrumors newbie

Refurb huh? I never considered it... Anyone here ever buy a refurb from Apple? Am i gonna get a computer that doesnt work and has wear and tear on it?

11. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

You can always buy an external matte display and use that when you have to be color accurate, plus you'll get more real estate :D

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's refurb, not used. :rolleyes: That means they take it back, fix whatever was wrong with it (includig cosmetic problems) and sell it. So it has been used, but it's not "used," if you follow my meaning. Plus it has a one year warranty against defective parts, just like a new Mac.

13. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

14. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

if you're doing 2D graphics, get a MacBook with 4GB of third party RAM

if you're doing 3D graphics, the MacBook Pro will make a significant difference

15. illidian macrumors 6502

To reiterate for truth (since there are a few misleading answers too):
    There is no difference in 2-d graphics.
    If you are working on 3-d graphics, then the Pro will be better. Enough to justify the cost? That's up to you.

If you're in 2-d graphics, the differences with what you'll be looking at include an LED screen, the option of matte, and the larger screen size.

16. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

17. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I'd think the extra 2" of screen size would be very helpful. One vote for the MBP.

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Go for the Macbook. If you need a bigger screen, hook one up.

19. gerbil macrumors member

gerbil

I ordered a refurb Macbook Pro over a Macbook to erase any doubts.

20. mikesk8 macrumors member

agree:) but for me its not only about color accuracy; the glare on glossy is unbearable for me;) its very individual.

21. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Just FYI, I sent Amazon a support request asking this, and they said it does NOT include Apple's 1 year warranty. Kind of a bummer, but I'm not entirely sure if they knew what they were talking about.

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

MBP. MB' screen sucks for that kind of things. Once you used both you'd appreciate the benefits MBP gives you over MB.

23. akm3 macrumors 68020

Don't go pro for the video card, in your case, go pro for the larger display and resolution, much better suited for performing actual work on.

1200x800 sucks for doing graphic work on, in my opinion.
    1440x900 kind of sucks too, but it is bearable.

I really wish there was a 1680x1050 (or even 1900x1200) option for the 15" MBP... I'd love the higher resolution but don't want the bigger machine of the 17" to get it.

24. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have not personally ordered a refurb, but am considering it (in roughly the same boat you are). However, lots of people here have posted success stories about receiving refurbs in perfect condition. You might even get a bonus, as the machines that were originally BTO'd with hard drive or RAM upgrades are still sold as stock refurbs.

25. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

I don't known if you've seen one in person recently, but I was intent on buying a MacBook until I saw them in the stores.

One, you're getting a plastic laptop. Two, the screen is incredibly tiny. My 14", 3-year-old Dell laptop has a much better view than those do.

I do basic stuff. Web browsing, checking my e-mail, and the occasional dab in Photoshop; I don't even play games. For these reasons, the MacBook would have been perfect, but Jesus Christ - 13" is too tiny to work with.