MacBook vs MacBook Pro vs Mac Mini for Skype + Ustreaming

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by samywamy10, Feb 6, 2011.

1. samywamy10, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

samywamy10 macrumors regular

samywamy10

That was a long title.

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to get a Mac to do Skype video/audio calls (max 3 people) and video + audio Ustreaming with Ustream Producer, possibly at the same time. My internet connection is fast enough. I currently have a Dell monitor with 1 VGA & 1 DVI, however they are both currently being used. I do have an adapter from hdmi to dvi however I'd need to keep plugging in and unplugging it.

With the MacBook Pro and MacBook (both 13") I could also use them elsewhere, however I already have a Dell 13", so I don't really need another portable. Appearance wise I like the MacBook Pro the most (lol) with it's backlit keyboard and aluminium unibody.

The Mac Mini has higher performance for a lower price. I'm not really sure what would be a good processor, ram amount or graphics card for my use case.

I'd like to keep the price under $1500 AUS, however I'm happy to go slightly over if it is worth it. AppleCare is a must. I'm also happy to go with refurbs (Aus store).

So basically I'm saying if a MacBook Pro can stay around my price range and have adequate specs I'd like to go for that, however if it can't then hopefully a MacBook can, and if that can't then I'd like to go for a Mac Mini. (I've heard the Mac Mini has notebook components anyway, so either MacBook and the Mini would be comparable?)

Looking forward to MR advice,
    Sam.

2. cootersgarage6, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

Hmmmm...

Well, you can't really count the Mac Mini in there for the Skype, because it doesn't have a camera, and the camera would determine that quality.

And Which Macbook Pro? The 13 inch is the same thing, same everything except RAM than the regular MacBook, so it wouldn't really matter. The '13 inch Macbook Pro only has a difference in like I said, RAM, Illuminated keyboard, and outer shell. That's it... So really, the Macbook would be fine..

3. samywamy10 thread starter macrumors regular

samywamy10

I plan to use an external camera and microphone. Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

all three will definetely work oout (b/c of hte external microphone/camera-- or else the mini would have been shooed away)

however, now that i think about it. why not keep ur dell, and buy a iMac?
    its the same price as a MBP and you get better specs on it:
    Imac:
    MBP:
    besides the imac does have a camera and (i think microphone). i know you are going to be using ur external ones, but still something to kinda consider. you will be getting bigger screen with imac (21.5 inch)

unless of course you will be attached hte Mac Mini to some huge screen (lol!)

so let me get it sort of straight

for ur purposes:
    macmini > MB > MBP [price wise]

however, if your mind wants a MBP than:
    MBP < iMac [because you already have a 13" ]

5. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

6. Keybinding macrumors newbie

I think skype streaming depends more on your internet connection than anything else. So the macs all are good enough for skype, it's about your internet speed!

7. samywamy10 thread starter macrumors regular

samywamy10

Hey guys,
    I'm not going to go with an iMac because I am going to get a 27" iMac either at the end of this year or early next year.

I'm leaning towards a Mac Mini (2.6ghz + 8gb) RAM because I don't want my Dell to become redundant, on the other hand, however, I'd like to get a MacBook Pro 13" (2.4ghz + 4gb).

So revised, would the MacBook Pro (which I think I would start to use it instead of my perfectly fine Dell) accomodate uStream and Skype, or would a Mac Mini with higher specs (and a cheaper price) be better?

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

im sure both would suit it quite perfectly depending on your internet connection and all.

another suggestion: if u do decide to get a MBP, will you sell the Dell?
    since youre planning ot buy an imac, i dont think you should go with the mini.
    advice:
    sell Dell, buy MBP, save up some $$$, end of the year party with the iMac 27"

although keep in mind the latest imac rumors:

9. samywamy10 thread starter macrumors regular

samywamy10

That's the thing, I still need the Dell for general web browsing etc...at least until I get an iMac. I recently put an SSD in and am planning on upgrading the ram, so it will last and is fine at the moment.

The Skype use and uStream will be mainly for a live stream I am planning to start, and a radio station which I already run. I'm not trying to replace my Dell...

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

wait so let me get it straight
    so one computer will be full on live streaming and the other will be web browsing and all the fun stuff

if yes, then get the mini. it will suit your purposes much better than the MBP.

11. flipster macrumors 6502a

This. Unless your getting at least 13 mbps down and 2 mbps up, your video calls will probably be shotty quality. It depends wayyyy more on your internet connection than your camera... go to speedtest.net, do it, and give us your results and then we can help you a little more.

12. jdm111 macrumors regular

None of those machines will be remotely powerful enough to run the stream and skype. Ustream Producer needs fast graphics to process it all, as the Mac doesen't have any video hardware like solutions like the TriCaster do. I suggest getting a quad core desktop pc. You could even afford Ustream Producer Pro with the monies you save

13. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Go with the MBP... portable... and fast. It would work out the best IMO

14. samywamy10 thread starter macrumors regular

samywamy10

[​IMG]
    I know I'm being picky, but a large PC is not what I want. Do you know of any PC manufacturers that sell small sized PC's with this type of power? I'm not really interested in building my own PC at this moment.

15. jdm111 macrumors regular

You can get a small quad core just fine, but it also needs a good graphics card, which can be hard to get in a small form factor machine.