MacBook vs. MacBook Pro vs. Waiting for possible MBP update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alonzo84, Dec 18, 2009.

  1. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

    Alonzo84

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #1
    I am looking to get my first Mac notebook, I have been using a PC since the 2nd or 3rd grade (long time). I have an HP desktop and want a MB or MBP instead of a Windows based laptop. My only other laptop was a $900 Compaq that lasted 2.5 years. The mother board and battery had to be replaced after 1 year and the computer died all together about 2 years ago (in it's defense, it spent about 6 months in Iraq, a nightmare for all electronics). I have an iPhone 3Gs and a 3 year old iPod that spent 14 months in Iraq and still works like new, so I'm very pleased with Apple's quality.

    My question is whether to get the MB, MBP or wait to see if the MBP receives any significant upgrades in the next couple months. I have read many posts looking for the answer, but they all seem to be very back and forth. The notebook's main purpose would be internet, word processing and other school work related things (in the next few months), movies, music and photo editing with photoshop elements or CS4. No gaming (I have an xbox for that). I'm leaning toward the MBP mainly because of the SD slot. I have no firewire based accessories but other posts suggest that it is a "must have" for external HD (although the external drive for my PC is USB). Both notebooks have the same specs (at least the way I would order it, 4GB RAM 320GB HD 2.26GHz) plus or minus a couple of ports. Despite the new unibody in the MB, other posts have mentioned issues with cracking. If anyone has any knowledge of possible upgrades to the new MBP (rumored to be coming out in the next couple of months), I would prefer waiting.

    I apologize for the length of this post and would greatly appreciate any advice.
     
  2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #2
    ...take your own answer to your own question...

    Maybe get a whitebook from the refurb store, they have the prev gen for $749 or the 2.0Ghz model right before that for $699 (the one in my sig and it works great)...

    I don't like the SD slot on the new MBP's as the SD card sticks out too much so you may as well hook up a USB card reader when you need it...(even my eeePC takes the entire SD card into its slot)....
     
  3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #3
    just wait.

    If you dont think you have a need for firewire, then you probably dont, so dont sweat that detail.

    Try and stay away from having apple doing upgrades for you, they really jack the price.

    macbooks and MBPs have user installable ram and drives, change it out after yourself.

    just wait.
     
  4. marcin0903 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2009
    #4
    1 thing about this possible new line of MBPs. Did Apple said anywhere when there will be any conference or sth like that?
     
  5. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2009
    Location:
    Midwest
    #5
    I would just upgrade now with a macbook pro. This line is solid and any faults problems have been worked out already besides do you see what is occurring with the 27in imacs. The possibilities are high there will be problems with this new chipsets. You said that you will be attending college sometime soon and having your laptop will be a key component. Yes you can wait but i would recommend waiting a bit after they release it to decide if stability is their in the new chipsets.
     
  6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

    sjinsjca

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    #6

    That's often true but not always. In pricing high-end MBPs recently and salivating over the 8GB RAM option, I found that Apple's price for the upgrade was less than going third-party for the RAM. That sort of thing can change on a day-by-day basis, of course, depending on global supply issues. Lesson: It pays to shop around, but don't exclude factory upgrades in the search, and be sure your data is current.
     
  7. canes960 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    Location:
    Alabama
    #7
    Are you in the Army, Navy, or any type of Military?
     
  8. Alonzo84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Alonzo84

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #8
    I got off Army active duty in June, now I'm in the Reserve so I can attend school.

    Thank you all for the advice.
     
  9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #9
    I dont think you are reading that right.

    8 gigs for a MBP is $600 from Apple, has been for some time. (except for when it was more)

    8 gigs from OWC is $450, $150 less, and you could sell the 4 gigs you pull for close to $100...
     
  10. habubauza macrumors regular

    habubauza

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    #10
    Thanks for your service.
     
  11. Alonzo84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Alonzo84

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #11
    Thank you
     
  12. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

    sjinsjca

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    #12
    +1

    We don't thank the folks who keep us free nearly often enough.
     
  13. tmart15 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2010
    Location:
    Albuquerque, NM
    #13
    Buy now. When and if the update comes there will be another update in 200 some days. Normally when there is update the revision has problems anyway just buy now I did.
     

Share This Page