Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KristenM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Alright so I know this has been discussed a billion times before and believe me I've read them all. However, most of the people who have asked which to get are either gamers or video editors or they only want to type papers and get online.
I'm a new Mac convert. I bought an iMac in August and LOVE it. I never thought I would love a computer like this! My HP laptop died the other day after 1 1/2 yrs and I really can't survive without a laptop so I've had it with PCs and am switching to a Macbook.
So, I'm a grad student - a scientist - and I live on my laptops. They go everywhere with me and I beat them to death! Back and forth to school every day and into the field with me several times a year. They stay running pretty much 24/7. I am gauranteed to drop it at least a few times in a year (though perhaps with the Macbook won't be an issue since it always falls after I trip over the powercord).
On a typical day I keep a browser open and iTunes running constantly, run Office and Illustrator most of the day, occasionally run Photoshop when I'm working on a paper, and some smaller science programs that aren't incredibly intensive. I'm notorious for having at least 30 windows open at once.
It flies with me around the world and when I'm in the field it is subjected to hours in the hot sun on a semi-deserted island and power is spotty so the battery life is important to me. When I travel I can't bring much baggage as I need to fly in on a very small plane and then travel the rest of the way on either seaplane or small boat so size is important to me.
I'll occasionally watch movies on it but I don't edit videos or music or anything and I don't play games on it (unless solitaire when I'm procrastinating counts).
So let's say that money isn't an option....which MacBook/Macbook Pro should I get?

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
after reading ALL of your post, get a macbook, but wait for the new ones which should be out in a couple of weeks, you need something thats going to be a little tougher than a Pro, they are very powerful machines but i'd worry too much about breaking it.

btw tripping over the power cord isnt an issue with macs since they have the magsafe powerplug that unplugs when the slightest bit of strain is applied

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
If money's no option, then the best MBP with the best upgrades of course! Someone in another thread found this article.

But reading your post, I'd say you don't need anything more expensive than the cheapest Macbook.

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
I second the opinion on the Macbook, just don't get the least expensive one and up the RAM to 2 GB. I did most of the things you typed with a G4 1.33 1GB Ram ibook so the Macbook will definitely handle the tasks. I just sold the ibook though.

My son just bought a Macbook Pro. It's a wonderful computer but it doesn't seem as durable as the Macbook, and it is slightly larger. I would think space and weight will make a difference in your travels.

I'm in the same boat with running several programs at once. Coldfusion Server, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash and I'm opting for the Macbook over the Macbook Pro, today anyway ;)

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I have beaten the ever-loving piss out of my MacBook, and it keeps on ticking. If you are going to get a MacBook, i would recommend getting some sort of 3rd party accidental damage insurance on it so as to cover it against pretty much all eventualities.

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
Alright so I know this has been discussed a billion times before and believe me I've read them all. However, most of the people who have asked which to get are either gamers or video editors or they only want to type papers and get online.
I'm a new Mac convert. I bought an iMac in August and LOVE it. I never thought I would love a computer like this! My HP laptop died the other day after 1 1/2 yrs and I really can't survive without a laptop so I've had it with PCs and am switching to a Macbook.
So, I'm a grad student - a scientist - and I live on my laptops. They go everywhere with me and I beat them to death! Back and forth to school every day and into the field with me several times a year. They stay running pretty much 24/7. I am gauranteed to drop it at least a few times in a year (though perhaps with the Macbook won't be an issue since it always falls after I trip over the powercord).
On a typical day I keep a browser open and iTunes running constantly, run Office and Illustrator most of the day, occasionally run Photoshop when I'm working on a paper, and some smaller science programs that aren't incredibly intensive. I'm notorious for having at least 30 windows open at once.
It flies with me around the world and when I'm in the field it is subjected to hours in the hot sun on a semi-deserted island and power is spotty so the battery life is important to me. When I travel I can't bring much baggage as I need to fly in on a very small plane and then travel the rest of the way on either seaplane or small boat so size is important to me.
I'll occasionally watch movies on it but I don't edit videos or music or anything and I don't play games on it (unless solitaire when I'm procrastinating counts).
So let's say that money isn't an option....which MacBook/Macbook Pro should I get?

I'd recommend the MBP, too. With a hard case. :D

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I just bought my first Mac. I was debating the same thing. I don't game, no video editing, etc. But I wanted a nice laptop. I was actually going to buy the Macbook 2.16, but my wife convinced me to go ahead and get the MBP. Man, I am glad I listened to her. I absolutely love this MBP! It isn't the top of the line model, but it is AWESOME! I love all the features on it.

I have been recommending this thing to everyone who will listen! I love how the Mac works and love the MBP! Little things like the backlit key board, knowing I have a decent Video card, extra screen real estate, etc. didn't really sway my decision at first, but now I am really glad I have them!

Get the MBP! It is very light and thin. I highly recommend it!

portuglish08

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007

:apple:Wow, What do you do? That sounds intresting to me, like a job I would like. I'm currently in school right now, what did you study (major in). Mabye I should change my major!

Anyways, back on topic, I'd say a macbook. A pro has great specs, but like squeeks said, It just won't take the abuse you plan on giving it. Good luck, but wait a week for the update! ;-D:apple:

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I have a MBP, and it is a great computer.

However, how much I love the MBP, you want a Macbook.

Better portability, overall robustness, better battery life overall.

The only major difference between the MacBook Pro and the Macbook is the dedicated graphic card.

The Macbook have an integrated Intel GMA 950 chip. It is very basic. However, an application like Photoshop is not so influenced by the graphic card. Of course, it does help, but it's not vital. Also, I assume you don't do really intensive photoshop work, like HUGE files with tons of layer.

For what you do, you won't see so much of a difference in photoshop, not a difference that will make up for the price difference and size difference.

Also considering you already have a new iMac, it will be able to deliver more power than your future MacBook if you really need to do some intense "computation".

You really need a MacBook.

However, like it's already been said, wait until the next update. MacBooks are due for a hardware and maybe a desing upgrade.

The hardware update will give you more power for the same price for sure. If you are lucky, maybe you will get a better integrated graphic chip (better than the old Intel GMA 950) due to Leopard who include some new graphic features.

The new desing may give you a slightly better portability (probably a bit thinner) and, of course, a cool new desing!

KristenM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Thank you everyone for all the advice. I think I'm going to with the higher end MacBook with 2GB Ram though I'll hold off for a few weeks to see if this update comes out soon. Hopefully it's next week because I'm going crazy without a laptop!!

you're like the james bond of scientists

That just made my day and it's going up on my office wall :) My friends just think I'm a science-geek!

:apple:Wow, What do you do? That sounds intresting to me, like a job I would like. I'm currently in school right now, what did you study (major in). Mabye I should change my major!

I sent you a PM :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.