Macbook vs Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by amitabhbansal, Mar 2, 2016.

1. amitabhbansal macrumors 6502

friends i am using macbook pro 16" mid 2010, its working perfectly fine, just want to upgrade the laptop so thought to buy new macbook gold, please tell me the comparison between pro and new macbook, i want to know what new macbook can do better then my pro16" and what it cant do.
    Thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

rMB is more portable and lighter than your 15" 2010. Probably has better battery life as well. It's an ultraportable machine and really should be purchased with that at the forefront of your consideration.

If you're coming from a 15" MBP I'd honestly suggest a 15" rMBP or even the 13" rMBP. It's an awful big jump on screen size alone, let alone considering the ports. Plus the 13"/15" are lighter than your model anyway, and has better battery life than the rMB.

3. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I went from a 2006 15" MBP to a 2011 11" MBA about 5 years ago. So that was a 4 inch difference. I honestly liked everything better about the air that I forgot about the size downgrade over time. I actually bought an external monitor to pair with it, only to give it to my parents because I found myself just using the laptop itself.

As for productivity, I don't do as much processor intense stuff as I used to, so the performance wasn't a big deal. The facetime camera oddly enough was a downgrade, probably because of the thinness. It did bother me, but again I never facetime so no biggie. Another issue was harddrive space, I have pretty much maxed out 128gb in my air, so my next purchase will have more than double.

I plan on getting a rMB when the update rolls around and Ill justify getting a 2nd gen, or save money and go first gen. In the end, its a niche market with this rMB, so portability is the selling point. If you aren't killing the processor all the time, it would make a great laptop.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

How do you use your pro? There is a lot the pro can do that the macbook cannot do depending on your usage. If you are just using the internet, email, office, and other light task it will be perfectly fine. As others said, the screen size will be a big difference, but the retina screen will help a lot.

5. t.portis macrumors member

t.portis

I bought a rMB at Best Buy last weekend (open box, $909). I love, love the portable size, weight and fit and finish of this thing. I also have an employer-provided 13" 2015 Retina Macbook Pro, so this was to be my ultraportable personal machine. My laptop use of 8-10 hours per day is hooked up to large monitor with Apple keyboard and trackpad 80% of the time. As for performance, for my needs, I didn't see any slowdown. I'm a Microsoft Office, email and short video kind of user.

However, I am not yet used to the keyboard, and am not sure I can get there before the return period closes. I have the new Magic Keyboard and like it, but it's not quite the same experience. I have LOVED the keyboards on the MBP and a MBA that I just sold. I also find the screen seems much smaller to me than the 13" MBP. I know there's not much difference on paper, but I find the MBP screen immersive.

The clincher for me was when I unexpectedly found myself needing to be mobile and working offsite for about three hours yesterday. I had the rMB with me and I was thinking "I wish I had the MBP, I really need to plow through some work." Keyboard and screen size were the difference makers. So, I'm returning the rMB this weekend. It's a beautiful machine, and I see why some people love it.

6. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for replies, first m sorry for the mistake, my mbp is 17" not 16", i have many laptops with me like MCBP 17", Toshiba, Asus Gaming Laptop G750jx, i dont use cd drive much, so no need for it, i use very heavy files on Asus, but on this MBP i use to make files like pages, numbers, email, net, mixing video files, but its heavy a lot to carry, thats why thought to get New MCB 512GB, top edition, to make files, net, emails, not much hard work on it, and yes to watch movies also, its a lot costly here 1940 US$ and dont want to sell my MBP, i just want speed, airplay, thunderbolt in new MB

7. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

The rMB is really small. It's a thing of beauty, but it's really small. If you're dropping from 17" to 12" that's almost exactly a 50% reduction in screen area. You're going to notice that.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

so very true. Even 15" to 12" is a huge difference.

9. lchlch macrumors 6502a

But the size is not relevant here. Because op has 2 17" inch laptops. So in my opinion the rMB would be a better fit here