Macbook vs Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vashti, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Vashti macrumors member

Hey y'all. My partner is beginning a career as a realtor next week. She just moved to the US and is coming from a iphone 6 a ten year old 15" macbook pro. She is definitely getting something smaller than 15" but I wonder how much of an adjustment there will be in going to a smaller screen.

She is buying an iphone X and a macbook or macbook pro for work and home use. Portability is important as she will carry it all day every day. She'll be taking pictures and posting listings. She'll be surfing the web. She may make some short films about listings. And then there's the personal stuff - bills, media consumption, surfing the web. She tends to like the best and newest but doesn't want to overbuy insanely. What would you recommend? Macbook? Or will it be underpowered? Macbook pro? Touchbar or no?

Thank you in advance for any help!!

2. bopajuice, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Personally I think it is easier to go from a small screen to a big screen, but going from big to small may be more of a challenge. I think the bigger issue would be portability. A 12" MacBook would be a lot easier to fit in your "friends" purse than carrying around than a 15" MBP.

3. Vashti thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. She is not considering the 15" at all. It's between the 13" macbook and 13" macbook pro (with or without tb)

4. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Does she have a need for the Touch Bar other than having the latest and greatest? If you do settle on the MacBook I would get the i7 version. Seems like a nice machine as far as portability goes.

The MacBook would have no problem handling media consumption and bills, but as far as making short films, will she be using iMovie or Final Cut Pro? FCP would be better served by the MBP, but with iMovie the MB would do just fine. In my opinion of course.

5. Vashti thread starter macrumors member

I think she would just make little films showing an apartment or house. I assume imovie would be more than enough for that. But I have never made a movie, so I could be wrong.

6. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

iMovie comes with Macs. FCP is pro software purchased seperately and will cost you $299. Plus there is a steep learning curve. If neither of you are familiar with it now, I am sure iMovie would work just fine, in which case the MacBook would still be in the running. In my opinion.

7. kschendel macrumors 65816

I know I'd have trouble going from 15" to 12", but then I sit in front of a (mostly) stationary rMBP for a good chunk of each day. If portability is paramount then the MB might be a better choice. I can't imagine that performance would be an issue for photos and imovie videos.

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I would not recommend a MacBook (non pro).
    But I can't recommend the 2017 (current design) MacBook Pro's, either (due to the many many keyboard failures).

Can your friend "hold out" with what she's using now until July/August?
    That's when the 2018 MacBook Pros are expected.

If she "has to buy right now" my recommendation is the 2015 MacBook Pro 15".
    These ARE STILL BUILT BY APPLE AS BRAND-NEW UNITS.
    It takes a little "digging" to find them at store.apple.com.

They are the older design, but have plenty of ports and a keyboard that won't break under heavy usage.

But if possible, again, hold out for the 2018's...

9. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

As a Realtor myself, here are my thoughts:

1. Congrats to your partner. Real Estate is a great field! :)

2. Most of the time, she will be on the road, but let's say 10% of her time will be spent at the office making calls and getting listings. If your partner owns and will be using a personal vehicle for travel, getting a 15" MBP is perfectly reasonable. The only time she will step out her vehicle would be when she's at a property. When she's showing a property to someone, chances are she won't even need her laptop. I know she's not considering it, but just something to think about because of the screen real estate (pun not intended).

My suggestion would be to hold out until WWDC (June 4) for the most likely chance of the new 2018 macbook/pros to be released. There are some keyboard flaws in the current gen. and previous gen MBPs, so I wouldn't recommend it. In the meantime, maybe pickup the new iPad (2018). I use my iPads for searching the MLS since it's a far better experience than on the phone, when I don't feel like taking my computer with me (I've got a low-end mid-tier 15" Acer laptop, I'm planning on going to a 13" MBP since I'm attending law school this year).

Also as an FYI -- unless your wife is a professional photographer - I wouldn't recommend having her take pictures and video footage to list on the MLS. It costs money, but get it professionally done. It'll look 10000x better. If she is joining a Realtor association (not all real estate agents are realtors, realtors are a special title given to members of a Realtor association), search around the site, there might be partnerships.

10. RegularGuy09 macrumors member

What makes you think the 2018 ones will fix those issues?

11. mlody macrumors 6502a

if your friend is going to have an access to an external monitor when working at home, then 13 inch MBP will be fine, but if she is planning to not have any external monitors, I would highly recommend to get 15 MBP

12. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Go to the local Apple Store and try them out.

Upside of going to the store, the models many times are side by side, so can get a better feel wrt the difference in screen size (visually sizing them up). When I have done that, to me, the extra screen space of 15" over a 13" is not that great: I'm leaning toward a 13" down the road.

As to Pro vs. non, gut tells me that laptops these days have such powerful processors that majority of people will not tax them, so, "standard" Macbook might be the way to go as your partner will be able to do everything they need to easily.

13. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Since I'm stuck here waiting for 3 people who have never heard of a lyft, I think I've finally realized what seems weird about the term "media consumption" aside from it being long and clunky to say. When you consume something, you ingest it, but you don't leave it still sitting on the plate. But even if we think of consumption as a not necessarily destructive act, you can close your eyes and use your mind to imagine the experience of eating the apple, but the apple remains on the plate, and all you did was imagine the experience, you didn't actually consume it. The same can be said of media consumption. If I watch a film, I'm not really consuming anything of substance. Without even getting into how flimsily & insubstantial films are generally written, the film still exists where it existed before, in tact for others to watch, light on fire, or consume smothered in steak sauce. But again, beyond that, all I did was observe the film, not take its ideas or events on board and make them my own. I only imagined doing so while observing it, then discarded that experience as imagined.
    The very idea of consuming media implies there's some sort of two way interaction between the media itself and the person doing something to it by consuming it, but if a filmmaker gets their film on Netflix, and I tune it to observe a downloaded temp copy of it, that's a pretty one-way interaction. Thinking about it, I can't think of any way that "consuming digital media" really works as an idea. If I have a conversation with someone in person, I wouldn't say "I'm consuming your words" any more than I'd say "I consumed that painting" in an art museum. What we're describing is either seeing, hearing, or both. It's very odd that we don't have a good descriptor word for both seeing and hearing, for how long theatre has been a part of human civilization. Or hunting, or paying attention to your surroundings etc. Weird.

But more importantly to your post, the MacBook Air. Most useful laptop they make. The ergonomics, battery life & speed of charging, MagSafe, useful ports, size & proportions of it, beat everything else.