Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jblack4083, Jun 6, 2007.

  1. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

    Jun 4, 2007
    I have a dilemma. I dont know if to get a Black Macbook or a Macbook Pro

    My two options:

    Black Macbook
    • 2Gb of RAM
    • 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo
    • 160Gb 5400 RPM HD
    • Apple Care

    Total: $1740.00

    Macbook Pro
    • 2Gb of RAM
    • 15" Glossy LED Screen
    • 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)
    • 160Gb 7200 RPM HD
    • Apple Care

    Total: $2240.00

    My dilemma is as follows. The Macbook Pro's are so nice after the new update. However i wanted a smaller laptop that didn't have such a big footprint.

    Then the new Pro's came out and now they have Santa Rosa while the Macbook's don't. This bothers me because i want my laptop to last for at least 2 years while staying ahead or on par with technology for that time. This is not necessary however if i can spend less on a laptop that i'll end up selling in a year or two to get the newest stuff. The

    Also, i like the Macbook's keyboard a lot better and feel that the Pro's keyboard is too soft and too shallow. I like typing on the Macbook because i feel every press is more solid.

    And most importantly! I am going to be using this machine a lot for web browsing and instant messaging at the same time. I want to be able to have A LOT of tabs open in Firefox and some AIM windows open all at the same time. On top of this, I do a lot of Photoshop and Illustrator work. Most times I have Illustrator and firefox open at the same time with a little AIM in the mix. I want to be able to do all this but still have Illustrator work fluidly and not choppy or lagging. Same with my other programs in general. If the Macbook will accomplish this... I dont know. The Pro should however.

    Help. Sorry for the long read.
  2. ViM macrumors regular

    Nov 7, 2006
    I think you answered your own question - you want a macbook. But maybe wait till WWDC and see if the ultra-portable macbook pro rumours have any substance.
  3. polevault139 macrumors 6502

    Sep 24, 2006
    The Macbook sounds good for you since Illustrator doesnt use the graphics card. The only reason you would get the MBP is if you really want the LED backlight and the SR chipset.
  4. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 4, 2007
    what are my benefits of the SR Macbook Pro over the non SR Macbook. Will i be sitting using my Macbook one day and say "dam i wish i had Santa Rosa, it would be able to do [blank]". Or will it not bother me that much.

    Also Leopard... When Leopard comes out how will my Macbook handle it? What about that resolution independence thing? Will my Macbook be optimal for Leopard?

    The Macbook's FSB is also lower.
  5. uMac macrumors 6502

    Mar 27, 2007
    Do you need a independant graphic's card (Mainly for gaming or Video/Hi-res Photo Work)?

    Yes --> MBP
    No --> MB

    From your post it sounds like you need a MacBook. But Wait (if you can) untill WWDC to see what may be announced.

    As for screen sizes, its cheaper to get an independant LCD then upgrade to MBP
  6. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 4, 2007
    No gaming at all except for The Sims once a year or so. I seem to need a Macbook but what really bothers me is the Leopard thing. I want my machine to still be powerful after i install leopard and be able to run it with ease. I dont want it to be like how I have XP on my computer right now and i cant install Vista or else it will be very sluggish and take up a lot of HD space. I want my computer to be able to fully support Leopard and its features once it comes out
  7. weeman macrumors 6502

    May 6, 2007
    Yeah, just wait...there might be a 12-13.3" MBP coming out based on rumors. This is what im waiting for.
  8. weeman macrumors 6502

    May 6, 2007
    The MB/MBP will be plenty powerful enough to run leopard with ease.
  9. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 4, 2007
    Oh yeah i'll be able to wait until WWDC. If they announce a 13.3" Pro then im sold. If its 12" however, I'm back to the drawing board because 12 is too small. The only rumor I see of a 13" pro is the fact that they ordered the 13" LED screens which leads me to believe there is something brewing. They just updated the Macbooks so thats the only thing I can see likely with the 13" LED screens. If its not that then i am still torn as to what to get. You say Leopard will run good on a MB so I might just go with that and in December of 2008 just upgrade.
  10. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 4, 2007
    Right now i have a Sony VAIO that has 512 MB of RAM, a 1.5GHz centrino, and a 64Mb ATi Mobility Radeon 9200. With this laptop i have trouble running Illustrator, Firefox, and AIM at the same time. Everything is really sluggish when i do so and also illustrator lags. Sometimes things are a little sluggish when i try to switch from one program to another.

    If i get a Blackbook fully loaded, will i not have these problems. Is everythign still smooth if i were to run Illustrator, iChat, and Firefox at the same time? This is my biggest concern. If this will all be good then i don't even mind having GMA950.

    Also, is there any way to allocate more RAM to the GMA950 than what it's already set to?

Share This Page